Adobe Flash player FreeBSD

Youtube is using HTML5 video rather than Flash which is why it just works out of the box. That is why all the extra steps for Linux emulation and Flash are required.

It obtained for multimedia easier to put Linux Mint on a virtual machine
or easier to do please tell me
You are beating a dead horse. If you need Flash get a copy of Windows. Only Adobe can write a code for a new platform. Even in the heydays of the Flash when several thousand people signed petition for FreeBSD flash support Adobe never blinked. Flash on Linux is pretty much dead as well.

If you need multimedia the answer might depend on your needs. For example OpenBSD has such a great sound server and MIDI support that people use it for rock concerts (I am not talking 100 people I am talking 80 000 people rock concert where OpenBSD runs the show). Generally if you need some video editing your best bet is OS X. So really depends on your needs.

The only reasonable alternative to Windows and OS X if you want flash is Chromium on Linux, it has the version 18 flash player that uses the PP API.

I've had flash run adequately for me. I don't use KDE, though. I know that in some Linux distributions, at least, Gnome or KDE will make problems, having their own configuration files that override something.

As Oko said it really depends upon your needs. I'm not sure what links you mean, but you do need Linux emulation to run flash.

You probably have to run kldload linux before starting to install though.

This link may be useful for some of your desktop needs.
https://cooltrainer.org/a-freebsd-desktop-howto/

But if the question is, is it quicker to install a Mint VM on VirtualBox? Probably.

A lot depends upon how important this is to you. If you're into learning about FreeBSD for whatever reason--fun, your job will need it, whatever--then you're probably better off fiddling till you get it working on your desktop. If you're running it out of curiosity or perhaps some work or school related thing, and don't really feel like learning the ins and outs of its packages for something that isn't server related, then you are probably are better off installing Linux Mint or other Linux that you like, in a VM, and using that for your multimedia needs.

There's nothing wrong with that, either, it depends upon your needs and time available.

You're never going to get an official Flash player for FreeBSD, ever. Flash is an obsolete technology and quickly being replaced by HTML5 which is an open standard and the way it should've always been.

Don't even ask about Shockwave.

These teams will be quite interesting, or something else again, there should be the type of device to mount the Linux virtual?
cd /usr/ports/emulators/linux_base-c6/ && make install clean
cd /usr/ports/www/linux-c6-flashplugin11/ && make install clean

In /etc/rc.conf, add this line:
Code:
linux_enable="YES"

Reboot.

Linux virtual layer will now be available whenever server is restarted.

Unfortunately. I was hoping it wouldn't get off the ground, for the time they were replacing Flashplayer. After reading it, they want to integrate HTML5 into their new media player, so it can survive. That tells me how useless it is, that they have to piggyback it off of a successful protocol. Flash stinks. Everyone, including Steve Jobs, said what a problem Flashplayer was, and they didn't listen when people asked to port it. For being so stubborn and useless, I really wish their new project would crash, but their strategy casts doubt on that. They had to be forced to drop the 'old' flash.

It also bothers me that they don't want to drop Flash altogether. HTML5 is there and is already highly functional. Also, it's an open format, hence faster and more collaborative development (unlike closed-source Flash). Why create pointless competition, Adobe? :(

Atsuri Because there are still a lot of people who rely on Adobe tools to create their existing Flash content. In the news release, Adobe said they will continue to support Flash but it didn't say it was going to do any new development with it. They're just breaking the news gently and easing all those who use Flash into the new world.

Animation, with HTML5 canvas element and the new CSS3 and javascript APIs, are good but are not quite on par with what can be done with Flash. The tools aren't quite there yet either but, for most of us, all that is good enough and, eventually, Flash won't be needed at all.

For example OpenBSD has such a great sound server and MIDI support that people use it for rock concerts (I am not talking 100 people I am talking 80 000 people rock concert where OpenBSD runs the show).

So OpenBSD does amplification? :p:D

Seriously though, I'd like to know more about that. Any chance you could PM me? Maybe send me some URLs, youtube videos, anything?

Atsuri Because there are still a lot of people who rely on Adobe tools to create their existing Flash content. In the news release, Adobe said they will continue to support Flash but it didn't say it was going to do any new development with it. They're just breaking the news gently and easing all those who use Flash into the new world.

Animation, with HTML5 canvas element and the new CSS3 and javascript APIs, are good but are not quite on par with what can be done with Flash. The tools aren't quite there yet either but, for most of us, all that is good enough and, eventually, Flash won't be needed at all.

Thank you for the clarification, I was not aware that HTML5 is still missing some pieces. As a side-note, does anyone happen to know of any stop-gap solution that would allow parsing Flash content through HTML5? I am referring mostly to websites which still extensively use Flash content.

www/xombrero comes with the following option
~/.xombero.conf
Code:
. . . clip
# external_editor = emacsclient -c <file>

# "default_script" points to a script executed by the run_script
# command. The only argument passed to this script is the current URI.
#
# default_script = ~/.xombrero/playflash.sh

# "user_agent" can be set to just about anything, for a comprehensive
# list see: http://www.useragentstring.com/pages/All/ . If more than one
# "user_agent" is given, then xombrero will use them in a round-robin
# fashion for each request.
#

and the playflash.sh
Code:
#!/bin/sh
# This is an example script for playing flash videos. It requires the
# get_flash_video package to be installed on the system. You can copy this
# file to ~/.xombrero/, and set
#   default_script = ~/.xombrero/playflash.sh
# in ~/.xombrero.conf. Remember to make this file executable.
#
# You may wish to add the following line to ~/.get_flash_videosrc
# to avoid accumulating files:
#   player = mplayer -loop 0 %s 2>/dev/null; rm -f %s

cd /var/tmp && get_flash_videos --player="/usr/local/bin/mplayer -really-quiet %s 2> /dev/null" -q -p -y $1

I like this solution as the bulk of flash content is advertising.
I'm guessing that you could substitute VLC or GStreamer based video players.

I found this on the Gentoo site and thought it should be added to the thread.
The user can run custom scripts on webpages with the run_script command. Let's consider as example the following script for watching videos from youtube and other sites supported by youtube-dl. Let it be located in the home directory and called youtube_watch.sh like so:

FILE ~/youtube_watch.shCustom script to watch videos from youtube and other sites
mplayer -vo x11 -fs `youtube-dl --skip-download -g $1`
Then, the script can be called with the :run_script ~/youtube_watch.sh command. To simplify it, these lines can be added to ~/.xombrero.conf:

FILE ~/.xombrero.conf
cmd_alias = yt,run_script ~/youtube_watch.sh

• Thanks
Reactions: Oko
Back