Solved Adding urban Terror to ports

UrbanTerror in ports?

• Total voters
Any chance of getting urban Terror added to the ports? I followed Vermaden's post for native Urban Terror and it played perfectly. But it would be nice to have the option to pkg install urbanterror.

I have an OpenBSD system now and to my shock its available via pkg_add UrbanTerror.

Just a thought, I don't know how to maintain a port or I would volunteer to manage it myself.

I am open to suggestions and would gladly take responsibility for a port.

This is what I know. This game is proprietary, but its engine is open source. You should download the binary data files of the game and render them using games/ioquake3.
The port link sent by SirDice , as the name shows, is only game data.

I have an OpenBSD system now and to my shock its available via pkg_add UrbanTerror.
I really doubt this. As far as I know, the OpenBSD does not include non-open source packages and is very strict about proprietary software and blobs. This game was open source in the past and probably its old version.

I really doubt this. As far as I know, the OpenBSD does not include non-open source packages and is very strict about proprietary software and blobs. This game was open source in the past and probably its old version.
I just installed it and it's version 4.3.4 and played. It has all the usual maps. I didn't know it was proprietary. 🤔

The story is a little complicated:
Urban Terror is a mod for Quake 3 Arena. Urban Terror can be freely distributed over the internet, unmodified, without charging for the product. Urban Terror uses the Quake 3 SDK license. This means the game code (the .qvm's in zpak000.pk3) are closed source and can only be distributed electronically over the internet, not on cd or dvd. The non-code data files of Urban Terror (zpak000-assets.pk3) can go on any medium however. The full license texts come with the installer, they outweigh the information provided here.

There used to be a port for it games/iourbanterror. Looks like the repo vermaden found is a revival of the dead upstream.

I'm certainly no expert, but it seems to me the old port was a "slave" port of ioq3. Might need to have a new port created from from scratch.

Back