Solved Adding IGC Driver to 13.0-RELEASE (for Intel I225-V Network Adapter)

My new PC build has an Intel I225-V Network Adapter. There is no driver for this in 13.0-RELEASE but the driver (sys/modules/igc) is in 13.0-STABLE.

I am downloading the iso for STABLE and installing that is an option.

Would it be safer to just try installing the IGC driver into my current 13.0-RELEASE and how is that done?

Can I just copy the sys/modules/igc directory from the STABLE src into my src and rebuild the kernel (and world?) or is there more to it?

I have got this working relatively easily. This is what I did to enable the Intel I225-V Network Adapter with FreeBSD-13.0-RELEASE.

I initially found another thread but the advice didn't seem to be quite right for 13.0.

1. On another PC I copied src files in /usr/src/dev/igc and /usr/src/modules/igc to a USB Memory Stick into directories named sys_dev and sys_modules. I extracted these from the FreeBSD-13.0-STABLE ISO but I expect they can be found in Github too.

2. Back in FreeBSD I changed to root and mounted the USB Stick.

mount_msdosfs /dev/daop1 /mnt

3. I then copied the src to my /usr/src.

mkdir /usr/src/sys/dev/igc
cd /usr/src/sys/dev/igc
cp /mnt/sys_dev/igc/* .

mkdir /usr/src/sys/modules/igc
cd /usr/src/sys/modules/igc
cp /mnt/sys_modules/igc/* .

4. Compile the driver, I'm already in /usr/src/sys/modules/igc

make
make install

5. Load the driver now to see if it works.

kldload if_igc

Run ifconfig or dmesg and you should see the NIC showing as igc0.

6. Update /boot/loader.conf to load the driver on startup.

Code:
if_igc_load="YES"

7. Configure the NIC in /etc/rc.conf

Code:
ifconfig_igc0="DHCP"

You can also specify manual configuration here but that also requires configuring the DNS somewhere, I didn't get that far, DHCP "just worked" for now.

--

That is it, fairly painless to get the igc driver for an Intel I225-V Network Adapter into FreeBSD-13.0-RELEASE. No kernel rebuild required.

Back