adding gnome access to user account

hello, this is a super noobish question, but how would i allow a user account to use gnome? when i typed in gdm, it told me the profile i was using didnt have permission to use that program. do i have to add the profile to a group? thanks for your help.

how do you start gdm?

it should be started using with gdm_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf

to enable do
Code:
echo 'gdm_enable="YES"' >> /etc/rc.conf
as root
reboot system and then try to log in.
let me know results

thank you, that worked, but if i wanted to start up using the command line and then get into the gui, how would i go about allowing a regular user account to use that?

[by default]
to switch to and between consoles:
ctrl+alt+Fn
where n is 1 to 8
9 will switch to X

to switch between consoles
alt+Fn
where n is 1 to 8
9 will switch to X

i suggest you just use gterminal [or what was name of gnome terminal, i don't remember, i use xterm] in X

you can also ssh to you pc from another pc, for that you need to configure and enable OpenSSH, this way you can use pc while your evil little sister [joking] is in front of screen with mouse and keyboard at fingertips chatting with her friends

ok, thank you. that works, but ultimately i was looking for a start up CLI to ward off people who dont know what that is, or how to use it.

starting up with no graphical user interface, just the command line for a log in. then i can issue the command to start gnome.

if you need to explain anything to user edit /etc/motd file.
This file is displayed each time you login to console.

echo 'gdm_enable="YES"' >> /etc/rc.conf
should start gnome display manager when computer starts and you wouldn't see console login screen.

If you want to start gnome when X starts, enter

Code:
exec gnome-session

in your .xinitrc, removing or commenting out any calls to other window managers/desktop environments.

Back