Solved Adding easylist to dns/void-zones-tools

I'm using dns/void-zones-tools to block ads and malware on FreeBSD. Today I tried to add easylist to the hostfile used by void-zones-tools. According to the description on github, this can be done by putting the list into /usr/local/etc/void-zones/x_void_list.txt. But this doesn't seem to be working. I get tons of errors when restarting unbound:
Code:
/var/unbound/local-void.zones:112881: error: stray '"'
/var/unbound/local-void.zones:112881: error: unknown keyword ']'
/var/unbound/local-void.zones:112881: error: stray '"'
/var/unbound/local-void.zones:112881: error: unknown keyword 'static'
/var/unbound/local-void.zones:112896: error: local-zone type: expected static, deny, refuse, redirect, transparent, typetransparent, inform, inform_deny, always_transparent, always_refuse, always_nxdomain, noview or nodefault
/var/unbound/local-void.zones:112896: error: stray '"'
/var/unbound/local-void.zones:112896: error: unknown keyword ']'
/var/unbound/local-void.zones:112896: error: stray '"'
/var/unbound/local-void.zones:112896: error: unknown keyword 'static'
/var/unbound/local-void.zones:112900: error: local-zone type: expected static, deny, refuse, redirect, transparent, typetransparent, inform, inform_deny, always_transparent, always_refuse, always_nxdomain, noview or nodefault
etc. etc......

So the conversion tool hosts2zones doesn't seem to be working for other lists other then the built in ones.
Has anyone done this before succesfully?

I'm guessing the hosts2zones tool creates BIND style zone files. The errors suggests that unbound(8) uses a different format.

I am the developer of dns/void-zones-tools, although the ports’s maintainer is someone else. The void-zones-tools are designed for usage with unbound(5).

That said, the tool hosts2zones converts text files which are in the hosts(5) file format to unbound zones having empty A records (pointing to nothing) hence the name void-zones.

The actual problem is that easylist is not a Hosts file. It seems to contain domains and also local URI elements. And there seem to be some syntactic element as well. In principal, it should be possible to extract the domains and convert these to void-zones. The other URI elements in easylist are not something which can be handled by unbound in any useful way, though.

hosts2zones is part of dns/void-zones-tools. But the input file probably needs to be in the right format in the first place. I guess I'll have to find the easylist in the correct format.

hosts2zones is part of dns/void-zones-tools. But the input file probably needs to be in the right format in the first place. I guess I'll have to find the easylist in the correct format.
I know that hosts2zones is part of the void-zones-tools. I programmed it and I added it to the tools:

Basically, the file format which hosts2zones can deal with is hosts(5), hence the name hosts2zones. The very details are described on GitHub.

I am present on GitHub as Cyclaero, which is the name of my company. Obsigna is for personal usage.

Void zones tools itself is working fine. Wasn't able to create a x_void_list.txt due to wrong format.

Found a solution for this one.
There is a new port net/hblock which creates a host file from, among others, the easylist. I put the output of this program into x_void_list.txt. Works great. The number of blocked hosts went to >250000 hosts and >117000 zones.

Hi.
I looking for help.
I configured void-zones-tools. I created jail in freeNas. local_unbound started but when i put jail IP address as DNS in my PC settings getting error DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_BAD_CONFIG. Anybody could tell me what im doing wrong ?

Aunty Google told me a link for trouble shooting this kind of error.

@Microsoft, we are in 2020 now. We have UTF-8 which is able to display millions of different characters and syllables from any language of the entire multiverse, and you show to us cryptical ERROR_MESSAGES_ALL_IN_CAPITAL_LETTERS from the 7bit low-ASCII table coming from the early 60's. If you can't do it better, why don't you simply shutdown your OS business, and save the world from a lot of hassle with YOUR_MESS.

Back