adb - android-tools

Is anyone familiar with adb?

I'm trying to use it on FreeBSD, and whilst it works OK when I run adb shell, running adb install never gets started.
If I try the same thing on Linux the push appears to work, but I can't check the contents of the /data directory as I get permission denied, however I get this msg:-

Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_OLDER_SDK]

Not sure what this means, but should some Android SDK be installed on FreeBSD for ADB to work properly?

Here is an explanation of the above error:-

I don't get this error on FreeBSD, perhaps it's because adb install doesn't work.

Yes, I have been using adb on FreeBSD for over a year now. I have noticed the issue with adb since 13.2R. Not sure about earlier releases.

Workaround:
Have two terminals/tmux/tty whatever your cli choice.
Execute adb install in one terminal and immediately execute
adb shell ls in the second terminal.
The install proceeds.
If you notice install gets stuck at less that 100%, repeat the command in the second terminal.

This issue happens with adb commands like push, pull, and install.

Attached a debugger to the process and I noticed that adb waits indefinitely in a call to
libthr. That's all I know.

Note: I have been reading the forums for over a year and it's been very helpful and thank everyone who post here. However, this is my first post :)

Yes, I have been using adb on FreeBSD for over a year now. I have noticed the issue with adb since 13.2R. Not sure about earlier releases.

Workaround:
The install proceeds.
If you notice install gets stuck at less that 100%, repeat the command in the second terminal.

Attached a debugger to the process and I noticed that adb waits indefinitely in a call to

Note: I have been reading the forums for over a year and it's been very helpful and thank everyone who post here. However, this is my first post :)
First of all welcome to the forums. I think we are a civilised bunch and quite a number of posters, even though they are geniuses, do their best to help people out without belittling them.

As for ADB, I will try your tips.

Is there some way to overcome the permissions problem, and have you come across the install failure mentioned above?

Most stock android restrict permissions/access to /data path. Unless you have a custom ROM or root access on the phone it's not possible to read the contents.

Any particular reason why you need access to this path?

As for the SDK issue, as cracauer@ has mentioned, the apk file you are trying to install is intended for newer Android versions. When you try the workaround on FreeBSD you would get the same error.

If you have an older version of the apk, that might work.

Most stock android restrict permissions/access to /data path. Unless you have a custom ROM or root access on the phone it's not possible to read the contents.

Any particular reason why you need access to this path?

As for the SDK issue, as cracauer@ has mentioned, the apk file you are trying to install is intended for newer Android versions. When you try the workaround on FreeBSD you would get the same error.

If you have an older version of the apk, that might work.
Simply curiosity... I'm interested in seeing what rooting gives you. I did find and old version of KingoRoot and installed that, although I did that on Linux, although I'll try to do the same thing on FreeBSD once I know how things are supposed to work.

I'm trying to follow this guide:-
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQYuaOC5v0I

You executed adb install after any other adb command?
If yes try to kill adb server:
adb kill-server
If command not responded try to kill with kill program:
pkill -KILL adb

Workaround:
The install proceeds.

:)

How did you set about debugging this?

I've tried the same on Linux and it works fine so it looks like a FreeBSD issue.

Workaround:
The install proceeds.

Is this due to a bug in libthr ?

I see there has been a recent update

Anyone tried it?

I just came across an article which shows how to use ADB to connect to an Android device over wifi

I tried this but doesn't work for me, has anyone been successful? I'm trying to connect to an Android TV set top box, although I'm not sure if that makes any difference.

Back