Activate your BSD Stats (plus Poll)

Are you submitting your BSD stats?

• Maybe later

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
I don't have BSDSTATS omn my computer but what is the most important IMO is how many users have just BSD as OS (I have just FreeBSD, before I had just Linux and before I had just OS/2).
There are many users which main OS is Windows and than "play' a little with different Linux distros, BSD...
BTW: at work I have Mac and I like it...it works but at home computer with FreeBSD and all of this updates it is nothing same as before. Sorry.

Carpetsmoker said:
There are many better ways to get an approximate count of the number of BSD machines:
- Look at the number of active people on forums, maillists, etc.
- Look at cvsup stats
- Netcraft
- Unique hits on the FreeBSD handbook
- ... etc ...
What about drivers/ports then? It's very useful to know approximate ratio when introducing breaking changes or cutting off unused parts. Here is an example
&quot said:
gpalmer@[/url]"]Marc also did work on bsdstats (http://www.bsdstats.org/). If you
want to push for older devices to be supported, it might be worthwhile
encouraging people to register their systems in bsdstats, especially
if they have hardware that is not currently shipping in new products.
(bsdstats shows no entry at all for ie(4) under the FreeBSD ethernet
section)

john_doe said:
What about drivers/ports then? It's very useful to know approximate ratio when introducing breaking changes or cutting off unused parts. Here is an example

If FreeBSD team wants to know what hardware I have they should write proper stats system and add it to sysinstall so I can choose if I want to upload it after doing a fresh install or when ever I want to update my hardware stats by launching sysintall again (no rc.d scripts or cron jobs please). That way more people would be willing to share their stats and you would actually get usefull amounts of data. Bsdstats tool is just wrong way to do it.

Edit:

What also would be very usefull if the stats tool would be capable to recognize devices with no drivers attached and send detailed info about them (from interface they belongs to) to the db. Rather than needing to manually extract it and send it via the FreeBSD bug PR form.

expl said:
If FreeBSD team wants to know what hardware I have they should write proper stats system and add it to sysinstall so I can choose if I want to upload it after doing a fresh install or when ever I want to update my hardware stats by launching sysintall again (no rc.d scripts or cron jobs please). That way more people would be willing to share their stats and you would actually get usefull amounts of data. Bsdstats tool is just wrong way to do it.

I like how OpenBSD do this.
One system is installed and you login, you get email from system, asking to send your dmesg or something like that to openbsd. I love this method (however it has it's drawback, [need to setup mail system, however this can be worked around]

No, PCBSD asks users during installation, if they want to submit stats.
You can turn it off during install.

I believe that is the reason, why PC-BSD has so high stats.

Well 10 000 computers is rather low, for ''high stats''. Would that mean:

(1) than the majority of PCBSD users uncheck the statistics checkbox
(2) than there is less than 18 000 PCBSD installations currently running?
(3) it's a checkbox by default unchecked?

Code:
/usr/local/etc/periodic/monthly/300.statistics -nodelay
fetch: transfer timed out
Posting monthly OS statistics to rpt.bsdstats.org

Yeah, I've seen that problem for a couple of days now, at boot time (I run bsdstats from rc.conf on my laptop). The host rpt.bsdstats.org does not resolve, though the rest of that network is still up.

Back