acpi error

fernandel

Daemon

Hi!

I am using FreeBSD 13.0-RELEASE on Thinkpad T495 and USB-C dock. Everything works very good but I gott messages:
acpi_ec0: no response to 0x 84
acpi_ec0: GPE query filed: AE-NO-HARDWARE RESPONSE.

What are related for, please?
When I setup the battery treshold charging I kldload acpi_ibm and I got:
driver bug: Unable to set
devclass (class: ppc devname: (unknown)

Thank you.

grahamperrin

Daemon

Hi,

0x84

GPE query failed

Google finds ACPI and power management development: Re: AE_NO_HARDWARE_RESPONSE problems (2004-06-29)

GPE query failed appears under <https://cgit.freebsd.org/src/tree/s...1f04e8f501617e5f2d62192dba635c4805f0889b#n501>, more specifically under <https://cgit.freebsd.org/src/tree/s...1f04e8f501617e5f2d62192dba635c4805f0889b#n517>

The relevant commit (found through the blame feature):

Rewrite much of the embedded controller driver. (2003-07-10)

Found, but I don't pretend to understand it …

OP
fernandel

fernandel

Daemon

Hi,

0x84

GPE query failed

Google finds ACPI and power management development: Re: AE_NO_HARDWARE_RESPONSE problems (2004-06-29)

GPE query failed appears under <https://cgit.freebsd.org/src/tree/s...1f04e8f501617e5f2d62192dba635c4805f0889b#n501>, more specifically under <https://cgit.freebsd.org/src/tree/s...1f04e8f501617e5f2d62192dba635c4805f0889b#n517>

The relevant commit (found through the blame feature):

Rewrite much of the embedded controller driver. (2003-07-10)

Found, but I don't pretend to understand it …
Thank you but I do not understand it too :)

Vull

Aspiring Daemon

This is the sort of stuff HAL (hardware abstraction layer) software used to take care of isn't it? HAL is gone now, though, so I guess we're in a phase where we'll have to find new, alternate ways of opening the pod bay doors.

Tieks

Vull said:
HAL is gone now

I remember removing HAL some time ago year because "Has been abandonned upstream long ago, replacement have now hit the ports tree almost everywhere". However, I see it's still in the ports tree (sysutils/hal). You might want to give it a try, see if it solves the problem.

Vull

Aspiring Daemon

I remember removing HAL some time ago year because "Has been abandonned upstream long ago, replacement have now hit the ports tree almost everywhere". However, I see it's still in the ports tree (sysutils/hal). You might want to give it a try, see if it solves the problem.
Not for me to buck that trend. I did notice HAL is not in the packages anymore. I've been using sysutils/automount for a long time. I can't find any knobs for turning my display brightness down though. I was hoping plasma5 would have it but if it's there I can't find it.

Edited to add: I just did a portsnap auto and /usr/ports/sysutils/hal isn't there anymore either.

grahamperrin

Daemon

in the ports tree (sysutils/hal)

Tieks please, what do you use to update your copy of the tree? It should have disappeared months ago.

Code:
% file /usr/ports/sysutils/hal
/usr/ports/sysutils/hal: cannot open `/usr/ports/sysutils/hal' (No such file or directory)
%

Tieks

Vull said:
I just did a portsnap auto and /usr/ports/sysutils/hal isn't there anymore either.
grahamperrin said:
what do you use to update your copy of the tree? It should have disappeared months ago

I understand what you mean, but I still have that port entry in my ports tree. Judging by the ctime, it came in from the install medium (I did a fresh install last month). It survived at least one run of portsnap cron/update since then, because pkg version -v | grep -v up-to-date gives quite a list of ports that need updating. But I like to install v13.0P1 first.

Don't know why it is still there. It's hal version 0.5.14. And now that I am at it, see if it builds. First attempt to make stops with a message that polkit isn't explicitly disabled. It is indeed explicitly enabled in Makefile. If I disable it there a second make brings me to this point:

Code:
===>  Staging for hal-0.5.14_34
===>   hal-0.5.14_34 depends on file: /usr/local/share/pciids/pci.ids - found
===>   hal-0.5.14_34 depends on file: /usr/local/etc/gnome.subr - found
===>   hal-0.5.14_34 depends on file: /usr/local/bin/python3.8 - found
===>   hal-0.5.14_34 depends on executable: dmidecode - found
===>   Generating temporary packing list
===> Creating groups.
** Cannot find any information about group `haldaemon' in /usr/ports/GIDs.
*** Error code 1

Stop.

So hal GID info was removed from /usr/ports/GIDs but the port entry itself is still here. And it is depending on the latest py38. Strange. However, you could still build it if you wanted to.

Vull

Aspiring Daemon

I understand what you mean, but I still have that port entry in my ports tree..
... you could still build it if you wanted to.
Thanks. I still have an old, warm and fuzzy copy of kde4 on FreeBSD 11.2, on an old hard drive I could reinstall if I ever feel like getting nostalgic about it again.