Accidentally ran make deinstall under port root...

I ran
Code:
sudo make deinstall
under
Code:
/usr/ports/
When I noticed that and pressed Ctrl+C it already did damage, not sure how much it did.
Then my applications cannot start because they're missing some libraries. I tried to reinstall
the ports of those applications and they cannot build because of missing packages.
Is there anyway to fix the port tree and dependencies?

Is there any specific reason you are using ports, instead of packages?

Code:
     pkg check -d or pkg check --dependencies checks for and installs missing
     dependencies.

I ran
Code:
sudo make deinstall
under
Code:
/usr/ports/
When I noticed that and pressed Ctrl+C it already did damage, not sure how much it did.
Then my applications cannot start because they're missing some libraries. I tried to reinstall
the ports of those applications and they cannot build because of missing packages.
Is there anyway to fix the port tree and dependencies?
Have a look into /var/log/messages. There should have appeared entries for each deinstalled port:
grep deinstalled /var/log/messages

If that log file rolled over already, then look into the saved older log files /var/log/messages.0.bz2 to ...4.bz2:
bzgrep deinstalled /var/log/messages.0.bz2

In case the list is not too long, you could easily reinstall these ports manually.

Is there any specific reason you are using ports, instead of packages?

Code:
     pkg check -d or pkg check --dependencies checks for and installs missing
     dependencies.
I've heard that using ports and pkg install together is bad for health. Not sure if it's true, but I just took it. I need ports to customize some of my installation.
And it's probably true, right after I deinstall when I tried to make something in ports and when I see it invokes pkg, pkg wasn't complaining... the build just fails afterwards because of missing libraries.
Anyway I've fixed it now. I just make emacs and it pulls nearly all the dependencies down (it even somehow depends on Firefox... based on my config). Now I tried running
Code:
pkg check -d
and it gives no error.

Back