absolutely minimal graphical desktop environment

I use fluxbox myself, but have recommended xfce to users who find it too mininal (need a DE instead of just a WM).

For something really unique, try ratpoison (my job consists mostly of sshing into other boxes without any X11 type stuff running, so thought it would be ideal, but after a while I just couldn't get used to it!)

Another side note, strictly speaking in a thin client situation, you could get away with just xorg "server" on the "client" and WM/DE and other apps (X "clients") on the "server."

Thank you all. I, too, am a newbie to FreeBSD. I have just successfully installed a dual boot windows 7 and FreeBSD 9.1 amd64 release from an ISO burned DVD on my 17.3 inch Toshiba Satellite L770 laptop with 4GB of RAM, 600GB HDD, and i3 Intel processor. It is threads like these that give me direction and let me know how to proceed. I probably will need someone to walk me through setting up X and setting up a desktop environment. Thank you all once again and in advance.

This may sound idiotic but can someone hold my hand and walk me through set up X on this system and the gnome desktop manager. I will primarily use the FreeBSD portion of the dual boot system to study chess (i.e. playing, learning about programs). The reason I ask for help is because at this time I feel very unsure of myself.

throAU said:
twm (included with xorg?) or wmx (I like its funky sideways title bars).

I didn't say it would be pretty.

Good tip. In the age of these extreme-wide-by-flat displays this can save some screen estate.

Back