Absolute FreeBSD 3rd Edition

ZFS, Poudriere and LLVM are three things that are new and will definitely get their own chapters. Jails is in the 2nd edition but it will have to be updated. Since 32-bit was still popular when the 2nd edition was released, maybe we will get a chapter, or at least a section, on making a pure 64-bit system.

Damn, I recently got the second edition. And I'm still trying to find time to actually read it.

ZFS, Poudriere and LLVM are three things that are new and will definitely get their own chapters. Jails is in the 2nd edition but it will have to be updated. Since 32-bit was still popular when the 2nd edition was released, maybe we will get a chapter, or at least a section, on making a pure 64-bit system.

Why would I cover these?

The clear need is migrating from pkg_add to pkg. Oh, and running on my Soekris 4801.

A (certainly incomplete) list of changes that affect the content of the 2nd Edition:
  1. pkg(8)
  2. unbound(8)
  3. Checking out source trees with Subversion
  4. GUID as the default partition table for new installs
  5. UEFI
  6. Two mailers to choose from in base
  7. New jail configuration file and tools
  8. autofs(5) superseding amd(8)
  9. The FreeSBIE project is dead
I could understand not seeing a lot of detail on ZFS, since the two books by Lucas and Allan Jude on the subject are excellent and already up-to-date as of FreeBSD 11. ZFS is mentioned in the 2nd edition, at which point it was considered "experimental," so at least that much would be updated.

I could also understand LLVM and Poudriere not being mentioned, since since the book takes more of a "single user/single system" approach and gives more of an overview of what a general-purpose operating system like FreeBSD can accomplish. Tinderbox---Poudriere's predecessor---isn't mentioned in the 2nd Edition.

The clear need is migrating from pkg_add to pkg
I very much doubt there's a need for this. There are no supported versions of FreeBSD that have the old package tools. All versions that had the old tools have been EoL'ed.

I very much doubt there's a need for this. There are no supported versions of FreeBSD that have the old package tools. All versions that had the old tools have been EoL'ed.
That statement from Michael is anbiguous. However, I think he meant migrating the text of the book from including pkg_add to including pkg instead. Not writing about how to migrate from pkg_add to pkg on a FreeBSD installation. As you say, they are all EoL'ed anyway. I could be wrong, but that's how I originally read it.

However, I think he meant migrating the text of the book from including pkg_add to including pkg instead.
Ah, yes. That would make more sense. I probably got thrown off by the "migrate" remark.

That statement from Michael is anbiguous. However, I think he meant migrating the text of the book from including pkg_add to including pkg instead. Not writing about how to migrate from pkg_add to pkg on a FreeBSD installation. As you say, they are all EoL'ed anyway. I could be wrong, but that's how I originally read it.

Actually, it was a joke...

Right. That's what I get for trying the forums. Never mind. :)

I just got a copy of the 2nd edition delivered this afternoon!! Can't wait.

BTW - the author has remarkable talent for giving good detail, while at same time keeping the reading audience
at ease with personal experience and well measured humor. Great talent and FreeBSD users benefit as
a consequence of this author's work, thank you Michael Lucas.

Back