about upgrade 12.2 from 12.1

hi guys, i want to upgrade to freebsd 12.2 from 12.1, i download the dvd iso file.
and i want to ask some question ,
may i use the dvd to upgrade freebsd to 12.2 from 12.1? if it can't do it, may i extract /usr/src files from dvd iso to 12.1 and compile it for upgrading to 12.2.
thanks a lot!

thanks for your replying,
and when i buildworld with "freebsd 12.2 /usr/src" and buildkenrnel , do i need change some file in /etc/ directory?

Yes. The mergemaster program helps you with that. It will show the new and old file, and you will hit l or r to choose the left or right side. I'm not sure if there's a good write up in the handbook, but there should be a tutorial around somewhere.
A good quick write up on upgrading from source is on Warren Block's site.

But make sure you're familiar with mergemaster first.

Thanks guys! I have already upgrade to 12.2 now, I reply this thread from FreeBSD 12.2
I can't use freebsd-update(8) to upgrade, because the network is not good.
I found some problem in 12.2 dvd iso file, when I use /usr/src from12.2 dvd iso to buildworld, I always get some error message like some variable is unused.
So I just get the /usr/src from svn https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/releng/12.2/, and compile it, it work very well, it don't have any error message.
Thanks!

I have network, but the network is too slow to access foreign website. some website is fast. I think it's ISP problem or someone attack my wifi router.

I just remember the error message is some .c files has unused variable and compile stop. I had tried 3 times .

I think it's ISP problem
That's certainly possible. I often forget I live in a country with really good infrastructure. But I know from past experiences with global companies that internet connections can be quite dodgy in many parts of the world.

I just remember the error message is some .c files has unused variable and compile stop. I had tried 3 times .
Don't worry about it, it worked out for you in the end. I was just wondering why the source code on the DVD appeared to be broken.

Back