About scrotwm

I want to switch from openbox to one of tiling WMs. Went for scrotwm first. Couple of questions:

1) Apps like gmplayer doesn't run. X draws black window where player is suppose to be but it's unresponsive. Another app, vitunes doesn't run at all. Terminal shows running PID, but there's nothing there. Once I press return in terminal, the job is suspended.

2) I'd like to run dzen2 bar next to status bar on top. Unfortunately dzen is always covered with statusbar. Is it possible to run one next to other or should I settle with dzen on bottom?

3) In ~/.scrtowm.conf I changed parameters for screen size to accommodate free space for dzen at the bottom. Yet, when scrotwm is run for the first time, that dzen space is covered. I have to press "MOD + Q" to reset and then it shows dzen. Why is this?

4) I've seen some statusbars have a line such as "[1]term 2[web] [3]work ...etc" rather than default statusbar workspace layout. How can I change this?

And finally, for those of you using scrotwm, why scrotwm, why not xmonad? Any particular reason other than it's written in C.

Some scrotwm noobery here, hope you can help. :)

Cheers

bbzz said:
2) I'd like to run dzen2 bar next to status bar on top. Unfortunately dzen is always covered with statusbar. Is it possible to run one next to other or should I settle with dzen on bottom?

You have to set a "timer" when you start the X session. Try adding this in your ~/.xinitrc:

Code:
sleep 4 && exec dzen2 &
exec scrotwm

bbzz said:
4) I've seen some statusbars have a line such as "[1]term 2[web] [3]work ...etc" rather than default statusbar workspace layout. How can I change this?

You can't, unless you edit the source.

bbzz said:
And finally, for those of you using scrotwm, why scrotwm, why not xmonad? Any particular reason other than it's written in C.

Simplicity. It does the necessary stuff I expect from a WM, nothing less nothing more. wmii for fancy stuff.

I'm running into couple of more problems.

When I use dmenu to run gmplayer it crashes with this message:
Code:
"MPlayer interrupted by signal 10 in module: unknown"
Mplayer crashed. This shouldn't happen.
It can be a bug in the Mplayer code_or_in your drivers _or_ in your
gcc version...etc,etc".
It works find in openbox so it has to do with scrotwm.

Another issue is whenever I open Opera, i get this message:

Code:
"ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/local/lib/libswmhach.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored."
It doesn't crash but the message shows in terminal when I exit X.

ramonovski said:
Code:
sleep 4 && exec dzen2 &
exec scrotwm

That doesn't work; dzen2 bar still gets covered with statusbar. dohh :(

EDIT: Just had a DUH! idea. Parse dzen2 trough statusbar. Now it works!

EDIT2: Seems scrotwm doesn't play well with certain GUI apps unless configured exactly how it wants. There is a default MPlayer quirk defined in scrotw init file but it's not enough.
Solved by adding new MPlayer quirk.

Back