About Nginx+HTTPS+SSL certs in Jails

jbodenmann said:
I guess I'm just gonna release the blog post as-is and deal with complaints afterwards

Yes, please!

Or I could test your documentation. Being new to technologies like Jails, HAProxy and/or VNET, even FreeBSD, something which brings all this together in one place would help a lot.

Jan 24, 2022
I'll get that done this week.
Feb 2, 2022
I'm like 50% done on this but got interrupted by real life stuff.
Will complete this next week.
Mar 9, 2022
Yes, the blog post is pretty much complete. I'm still looking for someone to proof-read it. After that it just needs to be published (volunteers are welcomed).
Apr 6, 2022
I guess I'm just gonna release the blog post as-is and deal with complaints afterwards
Jun 6, 2022
Oh... good that you remind me of that.
I won't be able to publish it today but I'll get to it ASAP.
Hmm. ... .... ..... ...... ....... ........ ?!

The P in ASAP stands for "possible".

No offense, but are you sure you have something written about it? :) :/
Yes, it's currently being reviewed by a community member.
The post outlines the scenario, shows the relevant configuration of net/haproxy and provides the various shell scripts I created to manage the setup.

The P in ASAP stands for "possible".
I too would have liked this to be different. As for any of us, there are responsibilities that need to be taken care of first. This is a personal blog post. I don't think that it gets much more lower priority than that. Surely nobody is actively waiting for this - everything I have to show is what you can get out of reading the various documentation:

I understand your frustration, I can assure you it is larger on my side.

jbodenmann

You moved yourself in the position for being criticized publicly. That things developed this way is your responsibility of not doing what you promised.

You are justifying a timeline of disappointments. Furthermore you subtle mention a “forum member” as the possible point of failure, still reviewing but not finishing.

I too would have liked this to be different.
It’s not about you. Your audience liked it to be better.

As for any of us, there are responsibilities that need to be taken care of first.
First you promised “this week”, then “next week”. This builds responsibility to deliver. Not only within a professional context but in everyday situations. When speaking out such promises it is your responsibility to take into account your capabilities and willingness to complete as promised. You never communicated the level of your priority.

This is a personal blog post. I don't think that it gets much more lower priority than that.
Wow! That sentence is missing in your blog.

Surely nobody is actively waiting for this
How often does a person need to ask you, before you recognize that she is waiting/expecting something from you?

everything I have to show is what you can get out of reading the various documentation
Really? You cannot add anything to the docs? No hints? No tips? No experience? No professionalism? Hmm, ... then RTFM would be enough.

This already mounts to a beauty of failing but you make it even worse with a closing sentence like that:

I understand your frustration, I can assure you it is larger on my side.
Do you think that this is smart? It does not clean up anything, it mounts on top by posing that your frustration is even larger.

Cleaning up one’s mess in the public is certainly no business for amateurs. But hey, aren’t we here for learning?

Stop harassing the guy. You're entitled to nothing, and you're certainly aren't paying the person for volunteer work either. It'll be done when he decides it's done. You want it expedited? Do the work yourself. Set proper expectations for yourself and you won't be so disappointed.

Back