about FreeBSD system services startup

System service startup to enter the completion of authentication.

This is the start speed of the impact of the system.

Priority should be given to the user login process, such as Windows and Ubuntu systems.

FreeBSD is not competing with Windows or Ubuntu on the end-user desktop market. So 'a better FreeBSD' will not develop toward that outcome.

DutchDaemon said:
FreeBSD is not competing with Windows or Ubuntu on the end-user desktop market. So 'a better FreeBSD' will not develop toward that outcome.
In spite of that, I find that FreeBSD is still faster then Windows and Linux from power-on to ready desktop. Windows is also barely usable for some seconds-a minute after login.

There are two ways to look at this. If you feel that it is important enough that the system allow logins to occur before it is finished booting, feel free to submit patches, someone might be interested in championing that work.

However, as has been noted, FreeBSD's startup time (even with ports) tends to be under a minute after POST, so I doubt that many people are interested in changing the behavior. Personally, I like to be able to rely on the fact that the system is fully up and running by the time I login.

Look! the picture..

FreeBSD startup.png

Back