Solved About disk management in BSD

Hi, I'm new in the BSD universe, I have used Linux a long time, and in Linux is very ease the partitioning, the disk are:

Code:
/dev/sda
/dev/sdb
/dev/sdc

And partitions are:
Code:
/dev/sda1
/dev/sda2
Now I'm in BSD and I don't know anything about partitioning, I have read in internet but haven't a lot of information, how is it in BSD? After I used gparted in Linux, how is disk management in BSD?

Thanks.

One thing the handbook doesn't have (if it does I overlooked it, been a while since I read it) is finding out what disks are available on your system. No need to go through dmesg but instead use: # sysctl kern.disks.

Using GPT for disk partitioning makes everything very simple and easy-to-understand. And it's the same on FreeBSD and Linux (and probably other OSes as well). It's almost basically mandatory to use GPT these days anyway, as it's the only way to access more than 2 TB.

Disk partitioning on Linux is nowhere near as easy as on FreeBSD. Especially when trying to use GPT. The gpart(8) tool is so much nicer to use than parted or even gparted.

The links provided in previous posts cover pretty much everything you need to know about disks and gpart. Just be warned: once you start using gpart on FreeBSD, you won't want to partition disks on Linux anymore (in fact, I tend to use gpart on FreeBSD to partition my disks on Linux).

Try cfdisk. No need to read through manpages or search google for the proper arguments. Sadly it's a lot easier on linux.

Nope. cfdisk doesn't support disks over 2 TB as it doesn't support GPT partitioning. You need to use parted to manage GPT. And parted is a royal pain to use, especially when compared to gpart(8).

For disks under 2 TB, sure, cfdisk is nice and easy and visual. I still prefer gpart.

• Thanks
Reactions: Oko
Nope. cfdisk doesn't support disks over 2 TB as it doesn't support GPT partitioning. You need to use parted to manage GPT. And parted is a royal pain to use, especially when compared to gpart(8).

For disks under 2 TB, sure, cfdisk is nice and easy and visual. I still prefer gpart.

From the manpage of cfdisk:
"....Since version 2.25 cfdisk supports MBR (DOS), GPT, SUN and SGI disk labels...."

And there is also GPT fdisk (gdisk) with its nice good old menu structure.

But I think we are getting a little off-topic ;)

-Snake-
To be a little more on-topic, I don't know your usecase, but you may want to look at zfs and save yourself the partitioning (and a lot of other headache). zfs is really awesome.

Back