A Virtualization Forum Section?

Hello,

I would like to see a Virtualization forum section.

Virtualbox for FreeBSD masses is getting closer.

I think this might be useful for those interested in setting up virtual servers like ESXi or XenServer and discussing all types virtualization, including as it relates to FreeBSD.

What do you think?

knotabot

general rule here is,if there is a need about subforum section then and only then will be created. 5-10 qeustions/month dont deserve subsection, despite that will (may)be more organized (imo).
with virtualbox in ports, xen under way this need is near but not here. patience ;)

I've got 5-10 ??? a day for at least a month.
And with every answer leading to more questions, it's a snowball.

In the application of patience you become aware of yourself.
-Edgar Cayce

Thanks mk.

Just a quick note of support for the idea of a virtualization section. Currently, I ask elsewhere simply because there isn't such.

fyi,
-Craig

I think that the problem is not the traffic but the fact that FreeBSD does not support any type of virtualization.

PS I don't consider jails nor bhyve a virtualization technique.

There's VirtualBox and qemu. A virtualization forum would also apply to running FreeBSD as a guest rather than a host.

wblock@ said:
There's VirtualBox and qemu. A virtualization forum would also apply to running FreeBSD as a guest rather than a host.

Virtualbox and Qemu already have their own support forums for such issues though?

I would suggest that setting up a virtualization forum on here for those products will simply encourage FreeBSD issues with such products to be diverted away from the official support resources (possibly over the long term resulting in poorer support for FreeBSD in those products).

Just because something exists in the FreeBSD world, it doesn't mean that it is in our best interests to host a support forum for it. Especially when official support resources already exist.

throAU said:
Virtualbox and Qemu already have their own support forums for such issues though?

Yes, but those forums are from the upstream developer's point of view. They are generic. A forum here would be specifically about those technologies with FreeBSD.

I don't know if a separate forum topic is needed yet, but understand the desire for it.

knotabot said:
I would like to see a Virtualization forum section.
Besides the matter of sufficient traffic, there may be some concern about overlap with existing forums such as General, Installing & Upgrading and Networking, to name but a few.

However, it appears to me that both Embedded and Other Architectures are relatively low on traffic. Perhaps we could merge those two and pull in virtualisation as well. I'm not saying we should, nor am I speaking as a moderator in this post, I'm just thinking aloud for a moment.

Back