A guide for intel wireless adapter AC 9260 and 9560 driver installation on Freebsd 12.1

I got the Intel 9260 up and running on my laptop, thanks to this guide and a few bits and pieces from the thread. Such a relief to have the ability to connect to a 5Ghz WiFi network where wired is not an option and 2.4Ghz is just too crowded and unstable.

Hello, thanks for all.

I found the issue, error in the /boot/loader.conf file.

Now I have a wlan0 (but not internet though it... But this is an another quest).
wifimgr see some network, so the card is reconized. Thanks for all !

Is it going to be pulled into the system, so that these WiFi cards work out of the box after system installation?

I look at the man (4) iwm page and it mentions 9260. I'm going to be getting a T495 and I'd be curious as to its status on 12.2 myself. Looking at the bug report listed on the first post, https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=227044, I'm not quite clear if it is just in HEAD or if it works in 12.2-RELEASE. I guess I'll find out when the laptop arrives. I'm still undecided whether I'm going to install FreeBSD or some form of Linux on it. From what I understand, the other things I need work fine on both FreeBSD and Linux. Mainly I just wanted video and touchpad to work, and from what I've found, the drm-kmod for amd is fine for the video and touchpad is working fine.

(Mods, should this have been a separate thread? If so, let me know and I'll delete this one and open another.)

However, I couldn't get amdgpu working. More or less followed the wiki, remember the issues I've had with Intel on 12.2, I installed from ports. Put the proper line in /etc/rc.conf and the module shows as loaded, but when I boot, the screen doesn't change the way it does when it properly loads the module.

I've only gotten it to work with Vesa, which, so far, has actually been good enough. I'll also try with CURRENT to see if that gets X working with the amd module. It's a Ryzen 7 with nvme drive, and maybe that's one reason X seems fine, even with vesa, though the biggest test I gave it was playing youtube videos.
Aside from that, it's pretty much working out of the box. I don't use bluetooth, so haven't check, but sound is fine, keyboard and mouse are fine. Battery life is supposed to be very good on this, and I have powerd running, though I've done no other tweaks, and the battery doesn't seem that great. I've only just gotten it, so haven't done much testing, but apm showed 94 percent battery, and after two hours of use it's at 61 percent, showing 2.44 remaining. But battery life isn't a big issue for my expected use, so I can deal with that.

Ok, getting off topic and talking about CURRENT, but anyway, CURRENT's amd driver worked pretty much out of the box. I made some adjustments, the same as I'd make for any hires laptop to make things easier on my aging eyes. I may give 12.2 another try, depending upon how long it will be for 13 to be released.
Because even having to use vesa, I really didn't notice great improvements. But--I'm not doing that much with it.

Hello everybody, I'm new to FreeBSD.
I tested FreeBSD on some older machines but switched back to Linux everytime. Now I got FreeBSD 12 working on my 2-years-old laptop. It is an ASUS TUF Gaming FX705GM with an Intel 9560 AC Wifi.
With @Raffeale Howto I got it working. It works good so far. Only from time to time the speed is reduced for a short time before full speed comes back. Thanks for your work and this Howto!

Back