A 96 year old Grammar Nazi in defeat

• Thread starter Deleted member 30996
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 30996

The crux of the biscuit is the Apostrophe:
For nearly two decades, John Richards dedicated his life to protecting an endangered species: the correctly placed apostrophe. As the founder of the Apostrophe Protection Society, he waged war against signs advertising “ladies fashions” or claiming that “Diamond’s are forever.” But last month, the 96-year-old admitted defeat.

“The ignorance and laziness present in modern times have won!” Richards wrote on the Apostrophe Protection Society’s website.

Save the Apostrophes

But the core of commentary is the Comma.

They closed the site and misspelled the subject in the announcement:
The Apostrophe Protection Society
3rd December 2019 valid until 31st December 2019
John Richards has announced the he is closing the Apostophe Protection Society.
Since the announcement, this site has had a 600-fold increase in traffic, which is proving expensive. So we have decided to close it until the New Year.
When it returns, Webmaster John Hale intends to keep the site running for a few more years.
Sorry, and thank you for your interest.
We will be back soon!

There was a story about some bloke who would go around in the middle of the night,
and add Apostrophes on signs around the city

I think he might have been called Apostrophe man or something,
i cant remember if he had a costume but i dont think he had any other super powers

i cant remember if he had a costume but i dont think he had any other super powers

It mentioned a guy that carried a roll of tape with Apostrophes printed on them to correct signs "on the fly". :)

Without people like that the world would be a much duller place.

You can always tell if an English text has been written by a native Dutch speaker. You'll see things like DIMM's instead of DIMMs. In Dutch the apostrophe is often used for plurals, as in "kado" (gift, singular) and "kado's" (gifts, plural). This is often a form of Dunglish, which is English words using Dutch grammar. Or as we Dutch call it, "steenkolenengels". :D

I should probably write to correct them on that. :p
You definitely should. If only to honor the guy who died. It's what he would've wanted ;)
You can always tell if an English text has been written by a native Dutch speaker. You'll see things like DIMM's instead of DIMMs. In Dutch the apostrophe is often used for plurals, as in "kado" (gift, singular) and "kado's" (gifts, plural). This is often a form of Dunglish, which is English words using Dutch grammar. Or as we Dutch call it, "steenkolenengels". :D
That just means that the Dutch are the ones with an excuse. 😏

You can always tell if an English text has been written by a native Dutch speaker.
...and Armenians would use ` instead, since there is no apostrophe in Armenian, but ` is a part of the grammar (used after a word with a role similar to colon).

Don't forget that today's English Language historically grew out of Pro-Indo-Germanic Language. The Dunglish, Slavic/Slavlish, etc are dichotomies.

Did they say the Vikings saved it from being an endangered language when the Roman bourgeoisie expats left?

Back