9.1-RELEASE is available on FTP

It depends on the browser.

Some, like elinks, display the size correctly (noting that the size of a symlink = the size of the file's path in ASCII characters/bytes).

Opera doesn't display symlink and directory sizes at all.

izotov said:
9.1-RELEASE seems to be available on the FTP sites.
Note that there has been no official announcement yet. The ISO images may still be subject to last-minute changes until then.

Fonz

You will be best served downloading from a mirror nearby instead from the central server. If those are not synced yet, you can use one of the primary mirrors. It is in your interest since the central server has its bandwidth throttled.

Yes,

Code:
# mv /usr/src /usr/src.old
# svn co svn://svn.freebsd.org/base/release/9.1.0 /usr/src
# mergemaster -p
# cd /usr/src
# make buildworld
# make buildkernel
# make installkernel
# reboot
# cd /usr/src
# make installworld
# mergemaster -iU
# reboot

Dutchman01 said:

Wouldn't it be better to use svn://svn.freebsd.org/base/releng/9.1 ? With the URL that you said it will always be 9.1-RELEASE at the point of the release. With my URL you can svn update to get security updates and errata as they are released with the -p patchlevels.

Also going from 9.1-RC3 to 9.1-RELEASE your procedure, whilst it should be commended for being accurate, is a bit overkill in my opinion. No reason you can't just go for:

Code:
# rm -rf /usr/src (only need to do this once the first time until you start using svn)
# svn co svn://svn.freebsd.org/base/releng/9.1 /usr/src
# cd /usr/src
# rm -rf /usr/obj/usr/src (quicker than running cleandir)
# make buildworld && make buildkernel
# make installkernel
# make installworld
# mergemaster -Ui
# shutdown -r now
# cd /usr/src
# make check-old
# make delete-old
# make delete-old-libs (only if you are sure no ports are using them)

To be fair as well, whilst I'm 100% sure this is safe for 9.1-RC3 -> 9.1-RELEASE, I have used this procedure remotely via ssh for every minor version upgrade since 4.1. The only time I ever do the single user mode, mergemaster -p stuff is on major version upgrades from say 8 to 9.

A note about make installworld.

While you can usually do it over a live system running in multiuser mode I'd still recommend rebooting first in to single user mode after doing make installkernel. First, if you're on a system running in non-default securelevel(7) the make installworld is going to fail because of schg file flags on critical system binaries. Second, the future releases may implement a system protection method similar but separate to securelevel(7) that again may prevent installing over system binaries on a multiuser system.

chatwizrd said:
Why do you have to mv /usr/src? I just did svn switch command and it worked fine.

It'll be because he's assuming the /usr/src that exists there at the moment isn't one that was checked out via svn, and was installed as part of the installation of RC3 I imagine. So you ditch it first, then check it out again from svn.

kpa said:
A note about make installworld.

While you can usually do it over a live system running in multiuser mode I'd still recommend rebooting first in to single user mode after doing make installkernel. First, if you're on a system running in non-default securelevel(7) the make installworld is going to fail because of schg file flags on critical system binaries. Second, the future releases may implement a system protection method similar but separate to securelevel(7) that again may prevent installing over system binaries on a multiuser system.

If that is the case then I hope there will be a way to disable this protection method (whilst taking responsibility for possible foot shooting obviously). Doing something like this would mean nobody could upgrade their systems remotely over ssh without having an expensive server with lights out OOB management features, or at least some way of remotely accessing the serial port, if it even has a serial port.

Whilst it could be said that if you are running a server remotely then you should have these features, there are a lot of people like myself who maintain cheap servers that are kept in a separate building to where I sit. I could visit the servers by driving 10 miles if needed but I would prefer to do it remotely, and only visit them if it went wrong and I had to fix it on the console.

Also I have a small mini-server at home which is running headless out by my front door because that's where my router is. If I wanted to access the console I would have to switch it off and take it into my living room to connect it up to my TV as the monitor.

jigzat said:
Kinda I used to like to search for them and rattle the boxes out.:e

I used to do that too.:p I'm currently running 9.1-RELEASE with the exception of the aforementioned issue, it works great.;)

MasterOne said:
So how comes the release images are already available since 4th December, and still no announcement yet?

It's probably the first step in the preparations of getting everything ready:

1) uploading ISO images to master ftp servers
2) syncing that over the all the mirrors
3) package building

And I'm assuming that while all that's going on, the security team is scrutinizing the 9.1-RELEASE to see if they can find anything that could stop the show.

And finally:

4) release announcement.

Back