Can FreeBSD have Nouveau driver port?

Can it be possible?
Given enough time and resources anything is possible.
Can FreeBSD Developers do this?
Ports typically aren't made by FreeBSD developers. They are mostly made and maintained by the community, not the developers. FreeBSD developers focus on FreeBSD itself. Third party software isn't part of that.

And I suggest you do a search on this forum. This question comes up regularly.

Given enough time and resources anything is possible.

Ports typically aren't made by FreeBSD developers. They are mostly made and maintained by the community, not the developers. FreeBSD developers focus on FreeBSD itself. Third party software isn't part of that.

And I suggest you do a search on this forum. This question comes up regularly.

But is there a community study on this? If so, what about? Thanks.

@mhaken, FreeBSD did used to have a very early version of Nouveau in an older release. However it was hard to maintain (currently it changes too much due to its roots in Linux mad-land) and it was deemed "not worth it" by the developers whilst the NVIDIA blob currently works adequately.

However, give it time. It is almost guaranteed to be the future and in ~10 years we will be running Nouveau after NVIDIA has let everyone down.

(Edit: though, if possible, do try to buy an AMD GPU instead. We should not be encouraging NVIDIA's current direction by purchasing their products)

Would this even be worth the effort? Back when I was using debian (pre-systemd era) on a desktop, the nouveau-drivers were mostly useless and bug-ridden. The nvidia drivers simply were (and still are?) the best and only choice if you actually want to use the GPU for any heavy lifting (e.g. gaming).
One might argue that nouveau are "free" drivers - but at least from a BSD perspective they are still pretty much restricted by the GPL license, so there's not that much of a benefit over the proprietary drivers...

Would this even be worth the effort? Back when I was using debian (pre-systemd era) on a desktop, the nouveau-drivers were mostly useless and bug-ridden. The nvidia drivers simply were (and still are?) the best and only choice if you actually want to use the GPU for any heavy lifting (e.g. gaming).
I don't know when the last time you tried it was but to be fair, these days pretty much any game which has a native port for FreeBSD works very well with Nouveau. As for just getting a native resolution on the screen, then Nouveau is also pretty great because many people probably have a whole stack of fairly ancient NVIDIA GPUs that we might as well put to use.

but at least from a BSD perspective they are still pretty much restricted by the GPL license, so there's not that much of a benefit over the proprietary drivers...
I think most drivers we import from Linux (intel, amdgpu) are GPL aren't they?

Either way, FreeBSD is in a fairly good position. If NVIDIA does indeed pull the plug, I doubt it will be long before Nouveau is pulled in and able to pick up the slack. Possibly I agree that it is a little too early now to import Nouveau; it will just take up precious developer resources trying to neaten up and continuously integrate improvements from upstream Linux.

One might argue that nouveau are "free" drivers - but at least from a BSD perspective they are still pretty much restricted by the GPL license, so there's not that much of a benefit over the proprietary drivers...
GPL is restrictive... Yes, against big corporations. You can always sell GPL software, but its so important to someone to hide the code. Why? It's stupid.

GPL is restrictive... Yes, against big corporations. You can always sell GPL software, but its so important to someone to hide the code. Why? It's stupid.
AFAIK, nvidia have several parts from several different companies on their code. Of course they could just redo those parts and make something better, but they didn't care either.

You must also check the business case. If one in hundred persons uses linux/bsd.
And if only one in hundred linux/bsd users uses bsd ...

I've used the x11/nvidia-driver driver for the past 20 or so years, I don't see this happening any time soon.
Yeah, it will be a very slow process. Only after they drop Solaris, will I start to get prepared.

That said, they already dropped 32-bit versions of their drivers. And as you may know, I do love all my old sh*t equipment ;)

Nvidia driver only works on x64, and that's probably on the decline with Nuvia and ARM finally catching up from the bottom up, and POWER from the top-down.

I'm going to get a TALOS II sooner or later, so I'll say the lack of Nouveau is a bit of a bummer for people like me, but as the support for TALOS is crap, I can't say I'm surprised. I'm gonna need to run linux with kvm likely for my own personal dev stuff.

The authors chose to claim restriction rights via an MIT-license rather than with GPL. Check the repo.

Yeah, it will be a very slow process. Only after they drop Solaris, will I start to get prepared.

That said, they already dropped 32-bit versions of their drivers. And as you may know, I do love all my old sh*t equipment ;)

nvidia-driver has been here for almost 20 years (since 2003).
Solaris is a dead OS, 32-bit x86 is dead too. FreeBSD is going to drop it down the line.

The diminishing corporate support for obsolete Unix(TM) system or 32bit architecture is hardly any indicator for the future of graphics on FreeBSD.

I'm not aware of the performance of amdgpu driver. Last time I dabbled with ATi it was 10 years ago and the situation wasn't good. There was closed source and open source driver and both had issues. Also, what is the status of long term support, as ATi is notorious for obsolesence of adapters in new driver versions - there's currently 10-15 years of backward support in nvidia-driver(s), you can run the model from yesterday or from 2007.

Back