8.2 kernel compile hang on feeder_eq

I am upgrading an 8.1-STABLE i386 box to 8.2 and getting stuck on the kernel compile as part of the buildworld procedure. Part of the compile that is hanging is:

Code:
---- SNIPPED ----
awk -f @/tools/makeobjops.awk @/dev/sound/pcm/mixer_if.m -h
awk -f @/tools/makeobjops.awk @/dev/sound/pcm/ac97_if.m -c
awk -f @/tools/makeobjops.awk @/dev/sound/pcm/channel_if.m -c
awk -f @/tools/makeobjops.awk @/dev/sound/pcm/feeder_if.m -c
awk -f @/tools/makeobjops.awk @/dev/sound/pcm/mixer_if.m -c
awk -f @/tools/sound/feeder_eq_mkfilter.awk --  > feeder_eq_gen.h

The system is still functioning and top shows WPCU 99.85% on the awk command. I have had this hang as long as 18.5 hours until I ctrl-c'd to stop it. I have several boxes and this is the only one giving me trouble. I have wiped and re-csup the source tree, tried copying source from a working system, blown away /usr/obj/usr (my normal procedure anyways), and even resorted to rebooting. Kernel compile (following a new make buildworld) always hangs at the feeder_eq_gen. md5 hashes on feeder_eq_mkfilter.awk, feeder_eq_gen.h, and /usr/bin/awk all match with other working systems.

Has anyone run into this, and if so, what was the resolution?
Thanks.

Is this a GENERIC or a custom kernel? If the latter, have you tried building this kernel on a working machine to see if the problem reoccurs?

I have the same problem with the GENERIC and custom kernel configs. Neither config has sound support, so I don't think the problem is with the config. Just for grins, I'll try copying the source from the problematic box to a working system and see what I find.

It's almost like the problem is with the awk tool set, but not sure how/where.

Thanks for the input.

Just an update...

Copied source tree from the problem box to a another system and was able to build world and kernel without any problems. Copied /src and /obj back up to the problem system and successfully installed kernel/world and rebooted to an updated 8.2-STABLE system.

After the successful update on the problem box, I blew away /usr/src and /usr/obj/usr, re-csup'd, and tried yet again to build world which resulted in the same hang on awk when building the sound module. The problem is clearly limited to this box, but for the life of me, I cannot figure out what the issue is.

At this point, my only solution is to add

Code:
WITHOUT_MODULES = sound

to /etc/make.conf. It's a non-critical monitoring server, so sound is not used.

Back