I'm back at FreeBSD still no sound

Hello guys, you helped me the last time with FreeBSD 11 that I have no sound, now I installed again and still have no sound, can someone help me please. I have xfce, and I can't play videos or music with vlc, mpv, parole.

I looked over your other thread. It never did show that you had these lines in your /etc/rc.conf file:

Code:
snddetect_enable="YES"
mixer_enable="YES"
That's the only thing I ever do as far as sound is concerned on any of my laptops and have never had a problem getting sound out of any of them with multimedia/vlc, multimedia/xmms or youtube through on-board speakers or headphones.

going to do that right now, thanks, do I still need the old configs? It's a fresh instalation, now I don't have edit or do anything else.

going to do that right now, thanks, do I still need the old configs? It's a fresh instalation, now I don't have edit or do anything else.

FreeBSD is not Linux and needs a lot of configuration. Right now I don't know what you've done besides install the base system.

Look over my tutorial, see if you missed doing anything and use the configurations I provide for different files. Then get back to us about whether or not you have sound and we can go from there.

https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/61659/

Edit: For instance, the /etc/devfs.rules configuration file I provide assumes you made yourself a member of the operator group during the installation process.

It never did show that you had these lines in your /etc/rc.conf file:

Code:
snddetect_enable="YES"
mixer_enable="YES"
Are you sure about snddetect_enable="YES"? AFAICT it's an old PC-BSD thing that never did anything on FreeBSD. mixer_enable="YES" is the default, so there is no need to add it to /etc/rc.conf yourself.

joachin please post any errors and/or some details. "It doesn't work" doesn't tell us much and provides no clues what could possibly be going wrong. We can continue shooting in the dark until we accidentally get it right but it'll be a lot quicker if you provide us some details about the hardware you have and what you already tried.

Ok, I have an Intel Celeron N3060, 500gb of HDD, 4gb of ram, I said "It doesn't works" because I have no sound, I can't play videos on vlc and in, I can't play my music, with youtube I have the following: If playback doesn't begin shortly, try restarting your device. It's a fresh install, so I'm going to do what you tell me to do.

Thanks

Are you sure about snddetect_enable="YES"? AFAICT it's an old PC-BSD thing that never did anything on FreeBSD. mixer_enable="YES" is the default, so there is no need to add it to /etc/rc.conf yourself.

Actually, that's where I got them from. I got my start beta testing PC-BSD in 2005, when they were at FreeBSD 5.3 IIRC, and moved to vanilla FreeBSD in 2007. I still have all my old disks beginning at PC-BSD version 0.7.3 and will take a look at them someday when I'm going to rebuild my system anyway.

I am basically self-taught and carried a lot of things over from that period and probably do a lot of things in my own way that is not the general norm. It's worked for me over the years so I never changed it. I taught myself to use ports back then instead of the .pbi Push Button Installer system they had and why I prefer to use them over pkg.

I have an Intel Celeron N3060, 500gb of HDD, 4gb of ram
And what kind of mainboard? Because that's usually where the soundcard is, it's not built into the CPU, HD or RAM.
I said "It doesn't works" because I have no sound
Yes, we already know that. But there are literally hundreds of different cards with a multitude of potential problems. We could list a million solutions and none of them may apply to your situation.
I can't play my music, with youtube I have the following: If playback doesn't begin shortly, try restarting your device.
Cause -> effect. If you build a house without foundation the house is going to collapse. It doesn't matter what type of house you build on top of it. Same for this, apparently your soundcard isn't detected (the foundation) so any type of application (house) on top of it will fail.

So, post the type of mainboard or soundcard (if known). Or model/type of laptop/PC (we can lookup what's inside). Alternatively post the output of pciconf -lv to Pastebin (or a similar service). And the post the output of kldload snd_driver and cat /dev/sndstat.

Referencing this and his other thread about the same problem of not having any sound makes me wonder if he has configured all the files he should to get a fully functional desktop.

I can't play videos on vlc and in, I can't play my music, with youtube I have the following: If playback doesn't begin shortly, try restarting your device. It's a fresh install, so I'm going to do what you tell me to do.

And why I mentioned the /etc/devfs.rules file.

The default rules should be fine.

Is there even such a thing as a set of default rules? Because unless I'm mistaken they have to be created and referenced in /etc/rc.conf.

Load the sound driver:
Code:
kldload snd_hda

to make it permanent add in /boot/loader.conf
Code:
snd_hda_load="YES"

Then check to see if the sound card was detected:
Code:
cat /dev/sndstat

The kldload snd_hda says: can't load snd_hda: module already loaded or in kernel

cat /dev/sndstat says:

cat /dev/sndstat says
Installed devices:
pcm0: <Realtek ALC255 (Internal Analog)> (play/rec) default
pcm1: <Realtek ALC255 (Front Analog Headphones)> (play)
pcm2: <Intel (0x2883) (HDMI/DP 8ch)> (play)

Hey I installed TrueOs and I have sound there, so I think I can have it in FreeBSD too, I did not configuration on TrueOS, can someone can tellme how can I configure it please? (I want to have FreeBSD and not TrueOS)

You need to see which driver TrueOs is using for sound (kldstat) so you can load it on FreeBSD too. If your hardware is newer keep in mind that TrueOS is based on FreeBSD-current (FreeBSD 12) and it is possible that that driver could not exists in FreeBSD 11.x series.

Back