Solved Upgrade FreeBSD 10.3 Stable

Hi.

I install FreeBSD 10.3 STABLE ( is the next step this post ).

Know trying to upgrade with this information, trying with the handbook but I dont understand :(.

But for me is impossible. Not for the error o stupid for me. Is because the temperature is very high and my laptop stop and turn off.

The temperature of CPU is :
Code:
hw.acpi.thermal.tz1.temperature: 99.0C
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature: 99.0C

I have a Optimus and trying to disable the Nvidia graphic, but not work very well. Any person have same problem? Where is the solution?

Or in my case, is impossible to use FreeBSD in my laptop ( change the laptop ) o_O

I say this, because is the same laptop with Debian working (virtualbox, firefox, etc) normally 54º - 65º ).

Any Idea?

Thanks a lot.

Temporary solution (not a best practice/no guarantee!) for Intel CPUs.

Stop powerd(8) utility:
service powerd stop

Load coretemp(4) driver:
kldload coretemp

Test the temperature (MAX):
sysctl -a | grep tempe | sort | tail -n 1

Find the minimum number (frequency) e.g. 800/...:
sysctl dev.cpu.0.freq_levels

put number(Lower) on the right side of the "="
sysctl dev.cpu.0.freq=800

Wait a few seconds and check temperature again:
sysctl -a | grep tempe | sort | tail -n 1

Select larger numbers for better performance (and keep an eye on temperature)

In-depth article: TuningPowerConsumption

Know trying to upgrade with this information, trying with the handbook but I dont understand :(.
I can't comment on the temperature problem but would like to address something else. This article also suggests to use SVN to extract the ports collection. Although there's nothing really wrong with doing that it is making things much more tedious on you (in my opinion obviously).

So instead of using SVN to check out the ports collection (/usr/ports) I'd recommend doing this instead: # portsnap fetch extract. After you've ran this for the first time you can then resort to simply applying updates using: # portsnap fetch update.

Another possible problem which I see in that guide is the section where he explains how to reboot in single user mode. He then opts to use # mount -a -t ufs but never seems to bother to remount root (/) in read/write mode which is also pretty essential if you plan on updating your kernel. So: # mount -uw /.

And of course there's another thing to consider here, instead of using the source tree you could also chose to simply use freebsd-update to update your system. You can find out more about that process in the FreeBSD handbook, chapter 23.2.

This doesn't help you with your temperature problem, but maybe it can help you sort a few things out anyway.

And of course there's another thing to consider here, instead of using the source tree you could also chose to simply use freebsd-update to update your system.
You can only use it to update/upgrade -RELEASE versions, the OP is using -STABLE. The only way to update a -STABLE is by building world from source.

This article also suggests to use SVN to extract the ports collection. Although there's nothing really wrong with doing that it is making things much more tedious on you (in my opinion obviously).

So instead of using SVN to check out the ports collection (/usr/ports) I'd recommend doing this instead: # portsnap fetch extract. After you've ran this for the first time you can then resort to simply applying updates using: # portsnap fetch update.

If you are comfortable with SVN, there's no major downside to using it ( svn update is possibly slower, but just as easy), but a few upsides. Being able to do svn diff, svn log, and maintaining local changes to the tree can be useful ( portsnap update clobbers local changes).

I would normally recommend portsnap(8) as a convenient mechanism for those who are less inclined towards coding and are unlikely to make changes to the tree, but would never discourage someone from using SVN if they are comfortable/familiar/happy with it.

Hi.

Finish the problem with temperature.

When not use 54º :). Normal use 64º ;) and heavy use 75º:D. This is normally for me.

Put in /boot/loader.conf this :
Code:
# CPU
hint.p4tcc.0.disabled=0
hint.acpi_throtle.0.disabled=1
# GRAPHIC
drm.i915.enable_rc6=7
# CORETEMP
coretemp_load="YES"
In /etc/rc.conf
Code:
# CPU
performance_cx_lowest="Cmax"
economy_cx_lowest="Cmax"
Next, trying to disable GPU Nvidia with TuningPowerConsumption in section 2, but I have a problem. The first use say no acpi_call. Install and working and watch in case that use next time use
Code:
\_SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP._OFF
but I dont understand how use this.

I have another problem but this is with USB and pendrive and make a question in another section

Thanks a lot for help me.

Back