ZFS Should one stuck with an LSI 9267-8i use ZFS, or only UFS?

Which configuration would you choose for this RAID card?

• 1 x RAID 6 VD + UFS

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • 1 x RAID 6 VD + ZFS

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • 8 x RAID 0 VDs + ZFS

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Fellow FreeBSD Fans,

Would y'all boldly use ZFS with an LSI 9268-8i 9267-8i RAID controller (with no JBOD option)? And if so, would you configure its eight SAS disks as a single RAID 6 virtual disk, or eight RAID 0 virtual disks?

Here's why I'm asking.

On page six of FreeBSD Mastery: ZFS, Michael W Lucas and Allan Jude write, "Do not use a hardware RAID controller. Ever." And on page eight, "If you're condemned to use hardware RAID, probably because you were a very bad person in a previous life, present the operating system with single disks. If the RAID controller insists on formatting each drive as RAID-0, you're stuck."

So, a comrade and I were putting 10.3-RELEASE amd64 on a computer today with an LSI 9268-8i 9267-8i + eight SAS disks. It seems that this is one of the unlucky LSI cards that can't be flashed with IT firmware. We tried to swap the card out for an LSI 9211-8i, yet the computer was too persnickety to accept it--no POST messages; no detection by mfi(4)--the computer Just Said No. 'tried a couple 9211-8i firmware levels; 'tried every slot in the computer, all to no avail.

Back to the forbidden LSI 9268-8i 9267-8i RAID controller we went.

Vaguely remembering the author's sage words, "Do not use a hardware RAID controller. Ever," we made a MegaRAID virtual disk, and put UFS on top. But we'd really be happier using ZFS.

This 9268-8i 9267-8i's cache is set to Write-Through mode; it doesn't have a BBU.

And here's how the card shows up while booting:

Code:
mfi0: <ThunderBolt> port 0x8000-0x80ff mem 0xdfd60000-0xdfd63fff,0xdfd00000-0xdfd3ffff irq 26 at device 0.0 on pci1
mfi0: Using MSI
mfi0: Megaraid SAS driver Ver 4.23
mfi0: FW MaxCmds = 1008, limiting to 128
mfi0: MaxCmd = 1008, Drv MaxCmd = 128, MaxSgl = 70, state = 0xb75003f0
mfi0: 2607 (523163360s/0x0020/info) - Shutdown command received from host
mfi0: 2608 (boot + 8s/0x0020/info) - Firmware initialization started (PCI ID 005b/1000/9267/1000)
mfi0: 2609 (boot + 8s/0x0020/info) - Firmware version 3.340.65-3296
mfi0: 2610 (boot + 9s/0x0020/info) - Package version 23.22.0-0023
mfi0: 2611 (boot + 9s/0x0020/info) - Board Revision 02D
mfi0: 2612 (boot + 27s/0x0002/info) - Inserted: PD 0a(e0xfc/s1)
mfi0: 2613 (boot + 27s/0x0002/info) - Inserted: PD 0a(e0xfc/s1) Info: enclPd=fc, scsiType=0, portMap=02, sasAddr=5000cca056179f5d,0000000000000000
mfi0: 2614 (boot + 27s/0x0002/info) - Inserted: PD 0b(e0xfc/s0)
mfi0: 2615 (boot + 27s/0x0002/info) - Inserted: PD 0b(e0xfc/s0) Info: enclPd=fc, scsiType=0, portMap=03, sasAddr=5000cca05617c2c9,0000000000000000
mfi0: 2616 (boot + 27s/0x0002/info) - Inserted: PD 0c(e0xfc/s3)
mfi0: 2617 (boot + 27s/0x0002/info) - Inserted: PD 0c(e0xfc/s3) Info: enclPd=fc, scsiType=0, portMap=00, sasAddr=5000cca05617c791,0000000000000000
mfi0: 2618 (boot + 27s/0x0002/info) - Inserted: PD 0d(e0xfc/s2)
mfi0: 2619 (boot + 27s/0x0002/info) - Inserted: PD 0d(e0xfc/s2) Info: enclPd=fc, scsiType=0, portMap=01, sasAddr=5000cca05609fbdd,0000000000000000
mfi0: 2620 (boot + 27s/0x0002/info) - Inserted: PD 0e(e0xfc/s7)
mfi0: 2621 (boot + 27s/0x0002/info) - Inserted: PD 0e(e0xfc/s7) Info: enclPd=fc, scsiType=0, portMap=04, sasAddr=5000cca05613e695,0000000000000000
mfi0: 2622 (boot + 27s/0x0002/info) - Inserted: PD 0f(e0xfc/s6)
mfi0: 2623 (boot + 27s/0x0002/info) - Inserted: PD 0f(e0xfc/s6) Info: enclPd=fc, scsiType=0, portMap=05, sasAddr=5000cca056055935,0000000000000000
mfi0: 2624 (boot + 27s/0x0002/info) - Inserted: PD 10(e0xfc/s5)
mfi0: 2625 (boot + 27s/0x0002/info) - Inserted: PD 10(e0xfc/s5) Info: enclPd=fc, scsiType=0, portMap=06, sasAddr=5000cca056176bed,0000000000000000
mfi0: 2626 (boot + 27s/0x0002/info) - Inserted: PD 11(e0xfc/s4)
mfi0: 2627 (boot + 27s/0x0002/info) - Inserted: PD 11(e0xfc/s4) Info: enclPd=fc, scsiType=0, portMap=07, sasAddr=5000cca05617c271,0000000000000000
mfi0: 2628 (523163410s/0x0020/info) - Time established as 07/30/16  3:10:10; (29 seconds since power on)
mfi0: 2629 (523163419s/0x0020/info) - Time established as 07/30/16  3:10:19; (38 seconds since power on)
mfi0: 2630 (523163485s/0x0020/info) - Host driver is loaded and operational

Thank you very much!

Last edited:
Hi, yea, seems that controller don't have an option for IT mode. Well, you will get a very nice performance on it with RAID6 and UFS file system, thanks to internal 512MB cache. Best turn here is to get BBU for it. Else, if you have uninterruptable power supply, it works good and connected via USB interface to this computer to signal it to make proper shutdown when you get power loss - then you can turn on Write-Through cache through CLI (even if you don't have BBU). It will have even better performance.

About creating RAID0 disks from every disk you have to use it with ZFS - well you can experiment here. But I think you will get corrupted ZFS after some reboots of the server, just because RAID controller will write some technical information to disks. ZFS needs dedicated disks and nothing else. But you are up to try ;)

The are basically two reason for Lucas & Jude's advice:
  1. While you can often interact with RAID controllers through the operating system, they still do their own thing independent of the operating system. They typically abstract the storage array so that the operating system sees a single block device; hence, ZFS can only create a single stripe vdev out of that whole stack of disks. There's no data parity or disk redundancy.
  2. Some RAID controllers have JBOD-mode that allows you to format all the disks independently. ZFS can create multi-device vdevs in such an instance; however, the RAID controller will still try to manage that storage on its own at a level below ZFS. The controller likely also has a write cache, and possibly basic error detection and correction. ZFS might not be aware of the write cache and error correction, and might not know what the controller is doing below the ZFS pool layer, so the operations performed by ZFS and the controller can interfere with each other and impact both performance and data integrity.
If you're using a RAID controller that doesn't even offer JBOD mode, you're pretty much stuck with UFS. Even with JBOD, you probably shouldn't use ZFS with a dedicated RAID controller. There's just no way to really know how they might interact. Your data is still better off on a decent hardware RAID setup with UFS than a single UFS disk.

Very well said. I would also like to chime in on the BBU. They charge so much money for the replacement battery I really wonder its value compared to a system wide approach of a APC Battery Backup. The life of a BBU is around 18-24 months so it is a considerable expense which should be considered. Maybe I got duds. Replacement was $180 from reputable seller.

One thing I found years ago that made me weary of ZFS is the need to have a very similar version of ZFS running on your recovery machine. This has changed over the years though. I still feel there is a certain bulk to ZFS. I know this comment might be unpopular.
If you consider 16GB memory OK for an fileserving appliance then you probably disagree.

I still feel there is a certain bulk to ZFS

In a sense, yes, because ZFS is designed to take over functions that were previously performed by specialized, dedicated hardware. So there's a lot to ZFS---it's usually just referred to as a filesystem, but that's only one component of it.

If you consider 16GB memory OK for an fileserving appliance then you probably disagree.

That's a surplus if you're running a small operation. If you're running a file server with only a few terabytes max, and only have a dozen people max connecting to it at one time, 16Gb should be plenty.

I guess it also depends on what you intend to use the storage pool for as well. If you just need a bunch of bulk storage to offload something temporarily, I would think that using ZFS should be ok. For long term or critical storage, very likely a bad idea. My vote would be for the UFS setup.

You should use HAMMER (DragoFly BSD)! This is why.

As previously observed ZFS is no go with Hardware RAID cards. That is not to say that Hardware RAID is worse than ZFS which combines volume manager (software RAID) and a file system in one. As a volume manager I prefer hardware RAID cards over any software RAID (Linux, BSD, ZFS you name it). High end LSI cards like the one you have are easy to monitor, alerting software is great and replacing failed HDD is a breeze. If your ZFS pool is 90% full re-silvering ZFS pool will take weeks if not months. With a Hardware RAID card you will rebuilt your raid 6 in a fraction of a day depend on the size of the pool. Unless you use very expensive RAID-Z3 you will have the same redundancy with RAID-Z2 and Hardware RAID 6.

The biggest problem with Hardware RAID 6 is not the RAID but the file system you are going to use. If you are on Linux you will be stuck with XFS. On FreeBSD you will be using UFS. Those are 20 year old file systems. As such they lack features of modern file systems like ZFS and HAMMER. Namely UFS and XFS lack protection against data corruption, efficient data compression, snapshots and copy-on-write clones, continuous integrity checking, automatic repair and built in backup (replication, hammer-mirror stream). So comparing UFS and XFS to ZFS and HAMMER is like comparing Ford model T and the latest Ford model. As a file system HAMMER has an edge over ZFS because it has build in fine grained journaling (build in version control system) via HAMMER history. Not having to sell your car to buy more RAM for your file server is also a good thing.

Using HAMMER with your RAID card you will get the best of both worlds, the best file system and the best volume manager. On the top of it all you can laugh all day long when Oracle or IBM come after people like me who are using ZFS without paying for it.

ZFS is cross-platform and has better than a decade of deployment to a large group of diverse users. Hammer only runs on Dragonfly and so is limited to a small userbase. In turn, that means a lot more opportunity for bugs that would have been discovered with more users.

It would matter more if Hammer was available on other systems. Has any progress been made on porting it to any other system?

ZFS is cross-platform and has better than a decade of deployment to a large group of diverse users. Hammer only runs on Dragonfly and so is limited to a small userbase. In turn, that means a lot more opportunity for bugs that would have been discovered with more users.
You are raising valid concerns and that is the primary reason I opted for ZFS at work. I could add few more reasons but I can't reveal the entire content of my next year BSDCan talk: "My favorite HAMMER". On the another hand I keep the pictures and videos of my kids on the HAMMER and that as you know is the most precious data I have.

It would matter more if Hammer was available on other systems. Has any progress been made on porting it to any other system?

Unfortunately HAMMER 1 is not that portable and there are some serious technical problems
https://wiki.freebsd.org/PortingHAMMERFS

That should be different once if ever HAMMER 2 is finished.

However my gut feeling is that alpha-males of FreeBSD have some other problems with HAMMER beyond technical unlike OpenBSD guys who are really enthusiastic about it. As the Rod Grimes eloquently explained this year in Ottawa, in the hindsight it was good to have two BSDs (Free and Net) instead of unified one from the day one not just for technical reasons but because of the group(s) chemistry and how people interact with each other (more difficult nut cases like I tend to prefer Open :)). As a user of multiple BSDs I can see that every day. Unfortunately in this particular instance I consider position of FreeBSD core-team/Foundation fundamentally wrong since July 16 of 2003. The time will show how many times will this bite FreeBSD for rear end. If the experience with NetBSD teaches us something it is not going to be pretty. NetBSD is practically dead now and the same could happen to FreeBSD if Oracle and IBM start vigorously pursuing patents protection.

ab2k, ANOKNUSA, Phishfry, gofer_touch, Oko and wblock@, I appreciate your fabulous replies so much; thank you.

Best turn here is to get BBU for it. Else, if you have uninterruptable power supply, it works good and connected via USB interface to this computer to signal it to make proper shutdown when you get power loss - then you can turn on Write-Through cache through CLI (even if you don't have BBU). It will have even better performance.

Thanks for this. Adding a BBU might be an option, though I'd feel like investing the effort only if non-BBU, write-through performance doesn't turn out to be good enough. I haven't collected any performance information yet.

There's no backup power where this computer's installed, which I know is very bad, so I'm inclined to lean towards safety at the expense of performance when there's a choice.

About creating RAID0 disks from every disk you have to use it with ZFS - well you can experiment here. But I think you will get corrupted ZFS after some reboots of the server, just because RAID controller will write some technical information to disks. ZFS needs dedicated disks and nothing else. But you are up to try ;)

I know what you mean. I appreciate that with some RAID controllers and configurations thereof, ZFS checksums and scrubs may duplicate things happening in the RAID controller, and that there are too many potential combinations of hardware and settings for anybody to know for sure what each outcome will be long-term.

Besides not storing checksums, 'seems that UFS has the profound benefit of being a known, having already been put on top of every imaginable RAID controller for twenty years or more. Yet it sure is hard to give up ZFS replication.

While you can often interact with RAID controllers through the operating system, they still do their own thing independent of the operating system. They typically abstract the storage array so that the operating system sees a single block device; hence, ZFS can only create a single stripe vdev out of that whole stack of disks. There's no data parity or disk redundancy.

Thank you. Yeah, I know what you mean about ZFS not being able to use its own RAID implementation when it's given a single RAID virtual disk to deal with. I'd definitely rather use ZFS RAID than the black-box MegaRAID controller's RAID, if I had a choice.

Some RAID controllers have JBOD-mode that allows you to format all the disks independently. ZFS can create multi-device vdevs in such an instance; however, the RAID controller will still try to manage that storage on its own at a level below ZFS. The controller likely also has a write cache, and possibly basic error detection and correction.

Making a single-disk RAID 0 virtual disk for each physical hard disk's as close to JBOD mode as this controller gets. According to the MegaRAID firmware setup utility (<Ctrl><H> during POST), its cache is configured in write-through mode.

I did see some MegaRAID configuration options regarding its error detection; it had patrol options (its own scrub mechanism, I guess). Yet I can appreciate that even if these things were disabled, the MegaRAID's innards would remain black-box; there's no way to know for sure what it's doing (not that I have the skills to dive in to ZFS internals--it's just that I know that various other people do, and have).

I suppose the only path towards trusting a controller like this has got to be through hard-earned experience. Though our RAID controller must be one of the most common models, it could be that an insufficient number of people have used FreeBSD with ZFS on it, to have built up a good enough level of trust.

ZFS might not be aware of the write cache and error correction, and might not know what the controller is doing below the ZFS pool layer, so the operations performed by ZFS and the controller can interfere with each other and impact both performance and data integrity.

Thanks; I know what you mean. It's data integrity that I'm most concerned about here.

If you're using a RAID controller that doesn't even offer JBOD mode, you're pretty much stuck with UFS. Even with JBOD, you probably shouldn't use ZFS with a dedicated RAID controller. There's just no way to really know how they might interact. Your data is still better off on a decent hardware RAID setup with UFS than a single UFS disk.

Thank you!

Very well said. I would also like to chime in on the BBU. They charge so much money for the replacement battery I really wonder its value compared to a system wide approach of a APC Battery Backup. The life of a BBU is around 18-24 months so it is a considerable expense which should be considered. Maybe I got duds. Replacement was $180 from reputable seller.

I also experienced a shorter than expected BBU life span once; 'seems that the replacements aren't always superb.

The BBU option for the 9268-8i 9267-8i is actually a "Super-Cap," which (I think) uses capacitors to keep the write cache charged during outages, instead of using the battery pack typical of BBUs. A friend of mine mentioned a few months ago that these capacitor-based BBUs last a lot longer, though I'm not sure what his opinion was based on. At any rate, I think I'll avoid adding a BBU unless the write-through performance turns out too doggy. These are pretty fast SAS disks, and most I/O will be choked by GigE networking before it even reaches the computer, but we'll have to try it to find out if it's good enough.

One thing I found years ago that made me weary of ZFS is the need to have a very similar version of ZFS running on your recovery machine. This has changed over the years though. I still feel there is a certain bulk to ZFS. I know this comment might be unpopular.

I know what you mean. In our case, I think we'll have the ability to match the FreeBSD version and ZFS feature flags on the recovery machine exactly, though expecting to keep them synchronized in the long haul may be naive.

I guess it also depends on what you intend to use the storage pool for as well. If you just need a bunch of bulk storage to offload something temporarily, I would think that using ZFS should be ok. For long term or critical storage, very likely a bad idea. My vote would be for the UFS setup.

Thanks. Ironically, if we could use ZFS on this storage hardware, the intended use would indeed be long term, critical storage. But if we're not able to use ZFS replication, our intended use actually changes; the storage would then be used only as the computer's boot device and root filesystem, and to store backups on.

As a volume manager I prefer hardware RAID cards over any software RAID (Linux, BSD, ZFS you name it). High end LSI cards like the one you have are easy to monitor, alerting software is great and replacing failed HDD is a breeze.

Yeah, I was actually impressed by everything mfiutil(8) seemed to allow.

Using HAMMER with your RAID card you will get the best of both worlds, the best file system and the best volume manager.

Thanks; I sure appreciate your thoughts here, and I think HAMMER's really interesting.

Yet the scenario we're dealing with demands something that's more of a "known." Believe me, even using FreeBSD and ZFS for this in the first place, is stretching the limits of how far off the beaten path we're willing to venture, in the context we're working in. To use HAMMER, I'd be starting out with ~zero DragonFly BSD and HAMMER knowledge, and it'd probably take me a year to learn enough to use these things confidently--I've already been studying and experimenting with ZFS for two years, and I feel that my knowledge is barely adequate even there. I enjoyed your post though; thank you all the same.

wblock@ said:

Thanks Warren. Yeah, I think that FreeBSD with ZFS is the least beaten-path of all the possible paths, for my context.

I appreciate the ZFS vs HAMMER discussion, yet I don't have the brain power to explore HAMMER quickly enough to even consider it for this.

I'll now add a new dimension to my question change my question's context, to include recent advice from Allan Jude on something similar.

If we stick with UFS on the MegaRAID, it doesn't mean that we won't use ZFS at all--it means that we'll use ZFS only on LUs visible over the computer's QLogic QLE2462 FC HBA with isp(4). We have access to various nice bunches of disks here and there on Hitachi Modular and Enterprise storage arrays, so we'll make LUs backed by RAID groups on these and present them to the QLE2462. The plan's that they'll pass through the GEOM multipath software before being seen by ZFS, though I haven't ever configured this GEOM feature before, so I'm not confident about this part yet.

It has crossed my mind that avoiding ZFS on our MegaRAID controller only to use ZFS with these storage arrays might be illogical. Like the MegaRAID virtual disk, the way these arrays handle LUs internally is black-box.

On July 6th, I mailed Kris Moore and Allan Jude, hosts of BSDNow, to ask them about the risks of using ZFS with these kinds of FC SAN storage arrays. Allan Jude answered my question in Episode 151: Fuzzy Auditing; his answer begins 54:52 in to the show.

His answer was really interesting. My understanding of it's that should the array's write cache content be lost, the worst case scenario would be ZFS back-tracking to an older uberblock to import the pool at its previous transaction group, which would cause up to five seconds' worth of writes to be lost. He also offered the opinion that I shouldn't let this risk stop me from using ZFS, because the other ZFS benefits outweigh it.

Yet, there may be other risks associated with this, that Allan Jude didn't think to mention, since I asked specifically about write cache problems.

New Question: with Allan Jude's sage BSDNow advice in mind, does anybody believe that using ZFS on our 9268-8i 9267-8i MegaRAID virtual disk, is more risky than using ZFS with these FC SAN storage arrays?

Thank you again ab2k, ANOKNUSA, Phishfry, gofer_touch, Oko and wblock@.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: Oko
Just for an altering view point. When I was at sun(before and after oracle) I had many many customers using raid cards. The downside is that you need to configure disks to passthrough. Almost all cards have passthrough even if they don't have IT mode. Or you can configure the disks to be raid 0 and create a vdev out of them. In the early days the emc san arrays would freak out with zfs but even those are fine now.

The warning comes from what the card might do to the data in transit, but in all of the systems I have worked with those could be corrected if configured correctly. Also the added complexity to find failures. If you would like some help configuring, let me know, I don't get to access every kind of hardware anymore, so it would be worth an hour or two of my time to see how/if this works.

I actually had a project when i was at sun by enabling the cache on the raid card we saw 1-10% performance improvement.

User23 and lkateley, thanks for your superb replies!

I would take choice #4: buy a SAS HBA :(

Thanks; I agree that this option's best, yet the computer we're dealing with here stubbornly rejected an LSI 9211-8i already. Several full days of tinkering were spent trying to make that work before giving up.

Just for an altering view point. When I was at sun(before and after oracle) I had many many customers using raid cards. The downside is that you need to configure disks to passthrough. Almost all cards have passthrough even if they don't have IT mode. Or you can configure the disks to be raid 0 and create a vdev out of them.

Thanks so much for this interesting post lkateley. Sadly, the 9268-8i 9267-8i seems to have no passthrough option; 'seems like a single RAID 0 virtual disk for each physical disk's as close as it gets.

In the early days the emc san arrays would freak out with zfs but even those are fine now.

Thanks for this.

If you happen to remember the nature of how they freaked out, I'd be interested in knowing more about it. The main area of potential freak-outs that I can remember having read about, is that some arrays responded to synchronous ZFS writes by trying to flush their entire (sometimes massive) write cache to the disks every time a synchronous write came in, instead of flushing only the array write cache portions actually used by ZFS.

It is comforting to know that the SAN arrays I'm using are certified to work with Oracle ZFS. I know Oracle ZFS isn't exactly the same as OpenZFS on FreeBSD, but 'seems likely to be fairly similar, eh.

The warning comes from what the card might do to the data in transit, but in all of the systems I have worked with those could be corrected if configured correctly.

Thank you. I suppose to configure these devices correctly, one has to rely on their own documentation. The SAN arrays I'm using actually do have notes on using Oracle ZFS, which I should probably eyeball. This LSI 9268-8i 9267-8i lacks ZFS notes, though.

Also the added complexity to find failures.

Yeah, I can imagine this.

If you would like some help configuring, let me know, I don't get to access every kind of hardware anymore, so it would be worth an hour or two of my time to see how/if this works.

Thanks so much for this kind offer.

I actually had a project when i was at sun by enabling the cache on the raid card we saw 1-10% performance improvement.

That's really interesting.

Update:

I mailed Kris Moore and Allan Jude (BSDNow) again on Monday, so maybe they'll include it in a future show. Here's the mail: H/W RAID [LSI 9268-8i]: UFS or ZFS?

User23 and lkateley, thanks again for your great replies.

Last edited:
Sadly, the 9268-8i seems to have no passthrough option; 'seems like a single RAID 0 virtual disk for each physical disk's as close as it gets.
Ok Let me make this easy for you. Are you U.S. based? I have HBA LSI 9211-8i sitting next to me pulled out from a working server. You have LSI 9268-8i. I can send you HBA in exchange for your RAID card (You should be aware that your RAID card is 3 times more expensive than my HBA which can be found for $100 on e-bay). I personally want to experiment with hardware RAID and HAMMER and you will get the best card for your ZFS file server. Please send me PM if you want to do it.

Ok Let me make this easy for you. Are you U.S. based?

Yeah, I'm in California. I live in Salinas and work in Santa Clara.

I have HBA LSI 9211-8i sitting next to me pulled out from a working server. You have LSI 9268-8i. I can send you HBA in exchange for your RAID card (You should be aware that your RAID card is 3 times more expensive than my HBA which can be found for $100 on e-bay). I personally want to experiment with hardware RAID and HAMMER and you will get the best card for your ZFS file server. Please send me PM if you want to do it.

Thanks so much for this nice offer Oko. Unfortunately, I already tried (hard) to get an LSI 9211-8i working in this computer, but it rejected it. I tried all the obvious ways to make it work (BIOS update, LSI firmware update and every PCI-e slot location). The symptoms were: no banner message during POST, and no detection by the FreeBSD device driver. In other words, it acted as though the card wasn't even plugged in.

This exact same 9211-8i did work normally in a Supermicro, but not in the computer I'm trying to use (a Hitachi CR220H). That's why I'm more or less stuck with the 9268-8i 9267-8i.

Thanks again for your kind offer though; I sure appreciate it.

Last edited:
Um... that says it costs $185, which is a fair distance from next to nothing. Actually, a fair distance from $100 for a LSI 9211-8i, too.

robroy already has a 9211-8i. If it were me, and the system was available for testing, I'd be talking to the vendor and trying to figure out what it took to make it work there. For instance, I've seen some talk of people being forced to tape over a couple of PCIe pins to get their cards to work, but did not pay attention to the reasons or symptoms.

Um... that says it costs $185, which is a fair distance from next to nothing. Actually, a fair distance from $100 for a LSI 9211-8i, too.

robroy already has a 9211-8i. If it were me, and the system was available for testing, I'd be talking to the vendor and trying to figure out what it took to make it work there. For instance, I've seen some talk of people being forced to tape over a couple of PCIe pins to get their cards to work, but did not pay attention to the reasons or symptoms.

Compared to how much his server costs (the Hitachi CR220H) I would argue $185 is nothing. Plus he could sell the LSI and get some of the money back. Also, this piece is kind of crucial to the whole point of having the server, which is to store data, so trying to save money where doesn't make sense. I know my data is worth a lot more than $ 185, losing data over that amount of money seems ridiculous to me.

+1

I am very familiar with Addonics products. Please see below. I would argue that $185 is quite a bit for HBA in particular from no-name company. Most home users will find that number of SATA ports on new motherboards (up to 6 on MiniITX which I have at home) is sufficient for ZFS pool and that HBA is unnecessary. HBA id something which we use at work where I routinely have 24-36 HDD per server. Also comparing Addonics HBA and LSI is like comparing Ford with Porsche. Sure both are cars but that where every similarity stops.

Best,
Oko

P.S. I have quite a few M2/mSATA PCIe SSD Adapters mad by Addonics as I like to install my FreeBSDs on ZFS mirror 2x32 GB SSDs and use SATA drives for ZFS pools (I also have my home file server running DragonFlyBSD of 32GB mSATA SSD drive and using SATA controllers only for data). I could really recommend this adapters for people who are like my approach. I wish just more server grade motherboards support the boot from PCIe slot because it is incredibly fast.

RedShift1, wblock@ and Oko, thanks so much for replying.

Thanks for this recommendation; I appreciate it. Yet if the 9268-8i 9267-8i there's in there now's not suitable for ZFS, we'll just use LUs from arrays over our QLE2462 instead. That's actually what we already did (this past week), so at this point, I'm really just trying to understand whether or not to back-track later and use ZFS instead of UFS with the 9268-8i 9267-8i.

Thanks Warren.

Thanks for this. I think the idea of taping over PCI-e pins to make the card work's brilliant, yet this approach seems too "ghetto" for the context I'm working in. What I can imagine is somebody else removing and re-plugging the card a year or two later, for some reason, and the tape coming off, and the card magically dying on them. Or somebody trying to duplicate this computer later, and not running across ye olde PCI-e tape notes, and mysteriously failing to get the 9211-8i working.

I sure appreciate you mentioning this though, and I don't mean to casually dismiss the idea. 'just doesn't seem like a good fit for the context I'm working in.

Compared to how much his server costs (the Hitachi CR220H) I would argue $185 is nothing. Plus he could sell the LSI and get some of the money back. Also, this piece is kind of crucial to the whole point of having the server, which is to store data, so trying to save money where doesn't make sense. I know my data is worth a lot more than $ 185, losing data over that amount of money seems ridiculous to me.

Thanks RedShift1. I agree that $185 is nothing compared to this computer's cost, yet it's not so much about the money at this point; it's about trying to wind up with a system configuration that won't surprise or confuse others later on. It's also about trying to shoehorn FreeBSD and ZFS in to a context that's otherwise stuck on the most beaten of beaten paths (Windows, Linux and VMware ESX, mostly on purely OEM certified hardware and components).

And we actually do have a SAN approach to using ZFS with this computer, which is working out well so far. If I could learn enough about how the 9268-8i 9267-8i interacted with ZFS to understand the risks, I might go back and replace UFS with ZFS on the local storage also; for now, we're using ZFS with the SAN only.

I'm not saying it's not worth it, just that $185 is a significant amount.

To follow up on the PCIe "taping pins" thing:
https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=12767.230;wap2

Thank you Warren. I read through this page and it's fascinating.

I am very familiar with Addonics products. Please see below. I would argue that $185 is quite a bit for HBA in particular from no-name company.

Thanks. Yeah, the no-name aspect of this makes it a non-starter for me. I could get away with swapping out the 9268-8i 9267-8i for a different LSI part (9211-8i), but maybe not swapping it out for a non-LSI part that nobody I'm working with's ever heard of.

RedShift1, wblock@ and Oko, thanks again for your great replies.

Last edited:
ab2k, ANOKNUSA, Phishfry, gofer_touch, Oko, wblock@, RedShift1, lkateley and User23, thank you all again for your great replies.

Kris Moore and Allan Jude's reply to my mail begins at 44:48 in BSDNow Episode #154.

I've made this partial transcript of Allan's superb response. I apologize in advance for any mistakes I may have introduced while copying this down.

Your answer is ZFS, and you can do the eight RAID 0 disks. The only downside to that is when one of those disks dies, and you replace it, you have to use the LSI command line utility to re-create a new RAID 0 on that disk before you can use it, and zpool replace.

Depending on the hardware, the LSI does have a tool, but some other RAID controllers maybe, they don't have a tool for FreeBSD, so it means you have to reboot, and go in to the RAID BIOS, and create that RAID 0 disk, and then back in to FreeBSD, just to do zpool replace, whereas on an HBA this is in all the operations you can do without ever rebooting.

So as long as you have the LSI command line utilities... Although, you know, some of them are better than others, like mpsutil or whatever, is a lot nicer than... MegaCLI is the weirdest thing I've ever seen; that command syntax makes no sense; it's horrible. But anyway, so yes, the RAID zeros will work, but yes, the key thing to do, is not, create an LSI RAID 6, and then give that to ZFS as one disk, because then ZFS can't do anything for you. It'll run its checksums, and then be like, "that block is wrong," and then it's like, "but I don't have a backup copy, so you're screwed."

So yes, the RAID zeros, will work; it just has the downside of when a disk fails, it might come down to you having to reboot to be able to replace the disk, and while that is annoying, you know, depending on your setup, it's not necessarily the end of the world. You know, if that becomes that big of a deal to you, you can just buy the right RAID card probably. But, you know, for a regular setup, that's probably fine.

I have setups like that, because my very first ZFS server, I didn't know that I didn't want RAID, and I have a very similar problem in that one. UFS with the LSI RAID 6, is a better option than trying to do ZFS on the RAID 6, but, you know, UFS has no checksums, so that has a downside. But yeah, hopefully that answers your question.

We're actually setting up two nearly identical computers, so we may do the second one with the eight RAID 0 virtual disks and ZFS RAIDz2. Maybe if I experiment with simulating disk failures and making new LSI virtual disks with mfiutil(8), I'll feel like the situation's enough of a "known" to go ahead with ZFS on the local disks of both computers.

I sure appreciate y'all's generous replies, and I'm curious to hear your thoughts on Allan's great response.

Back