Solved Failed to boot when connect a external usb zpool

I installed 10.3 on a zfs root. When I connected another usb zpool boot freeze after the following screen. When it freeze the screen is black empty.
2016-06-15 23.39.08.jpg

The attached zpool is a raidz2 create on Mac OS X.

Is it possible that the external USB zpool and the zpool on the internal disk have the same name?

Since it is USB, what happens when you connect the USB drive after FreeBSD has booted from the internal disk?

Is it possible that the external USB zpool and the zpool on the internal disk have the same name?

Since it is USB, what happens when you connect the USB drive after FreeBSD has booted from the internal disk?
When I connect the USB drive after FreeBSD has booted, everything is fine.
I tried to replace the disk in USB external enclosure, I destroyed a zpool on a disk, and removed other disks from enclosure. Now the enclosure has only one disk without a zpool on it. The same error.

And I tried another scenario, removed all disk from the enclosure and still connected it to PC, FreeBSD booted from internal zpool without error.

A third test. I inserted another zpool's disks into USB external enclosure. FreeBSD cannot boot from internal zpool, But the error is not same. The zfsloader is starting load kernel, after splash screen and some '-\|/-', then it auto reboot silently.

A third test. I inserted another zpool's disks into USB external enclosure. FreeBSD cannot boot from internal zpool, But the error is not same. The zfsloader is starting load kernel, after splash screen and some '-\|/-', then it auto reboot silently.
I pressed ESC and go into interactive mode, lsdev can list all my disks and internal zpools, not external zpool. when run load /boot/kernel/kernel it tried to load the kernel and rebooted before load the kernel.

It sounds like a bug to me. I think that you should open a PR.
I think the loader should load kernel from internal disk, and don't understand why the USB zpool will interfere the read process. I will try to replace the IDE internal disk to another SATA disk, If it still faild, I will open a PR.

I think the loader should load kernel from internal disk, and don't understand why the USB zpool will interfere the read process. I will try to replace the IDE internal disk to another SATA disk, If it still faild, I will open a PR.
Still the same error. Even I boot from another usb stick, the same error. I can only successfully boot with that USB zpool when internal disk is a UFS root, I think this is a bug related to zfsloader, So change to ufs use loader other than zfsloader.

I workaround this issue by disable 'legacy USB support' in BIOS setting. Then usb mass storage will not detected by bios.

Back