Solved Intel 7260

Hey guys,

I've recently decided to move from Arch Linux to FreeBSD, but I'm having some trouble with my wireless card :-(

I read that as of FreeBSD 11-current my card is supported by iwm, so I installed 11-current and did the following:

kldload if_iwm
kldload iwm7260fw

I also added the following to /boot/loader.conf:
Code:
if_iwm_load="YES"
iwm7260fw_load="YES"

After that I tried ifconfig to see if the wireless card would show up, but no luck. I attached the output of ifconfig and pciconf -l to the posting.

Would anyone be able to give me a few pointers? I'm certainly missing something.

Attachments

• pciconf-l.txt
    1.6 KB · Views: 607
  • ifconfig.txt
    657 bytes · Views: 456
After that I tried ifconfig to see if the wireless card would show up, but no luck.
On FreeBSD 11.0 ifconfig won't show interfaces like e.g. iwm0 anymore (a change introduced somewhere before this commit). Your pciconf output shows that the drivers attached itself to your card (the iwm0@ part). Try creating a wlan0 device like the handbook describes i.e. for you ifconfig wlan0 create wlandev iwm0 (see https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/network-wireless.html).

Have you tried creating the interface?
# ifconfig wlan0 create wlandev iwm0

To automate you can add this line
Code:
wlans_iwm0="wlan0"
to /etc/rc.conf

Besides that, the first thing I would do is load kernel modules manually and watch dmesg(8) output.

OT: I also switched from Arch to FreeBSD (when systemd became mandatory). I'm happy now!

On FreeBSD 11.0 ifconfig won't show interfaces like e.g. iwm0 anymore (a change introduced somewhere before this commit). Your pciconf output shows that the drivers attached itself to your card (the iwm0@ part). Try creating a wlan0 device like the handbook describes i.e. for you ifconfig wlan0 create wlandev iwm0 (see https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/network-wireless.html).

Hmm, that's is nice to know. Thanks!
Creating the device worked :-D

Code:
wlans_iwm0="wlan0"
to /etc/rc.conf

Thanks! That'll save me some trouble hahah

OT: I also switched from Arch to FreeBSD (when systemd became mandatory). I'm happy now!

Yeah, systemd is one of the reasons I decided to call quits :p
Hope I get the hang of FreeBSD soon, though.

Did you notice any slow transfer rates on this card? I am buying this one Atheros AR5BHB112 as seems like it has better support, part number Dell 7WCGT.

Back