Solved (ish) gd-png: fatal libpng error: bad parameters to zlib

I'm migrating a Wordpress site from one server another and I've run to to a problem with some of the images not being displayed. The images are being piped though a PHP script to dynamically resize them. After some investigation I've noticed that the issue is only effecting PNG images and found errors relating to gd-png in the webserver logs. As a test I created a simple php script (at the bottom of this post) which just opens a PNG with imagecreatefrompng and every time access the script via a browser I get the following errors...

Code:
PHP Warning: imagecreatefrompng(): gd-png: fatal libpng error: bad parameters to zlib in .../test.php on line 10

Code:
PHP Warning: imagecreatefrompng(): gd-png error: setjmp returns error condition in .../test.php on line 10

Code:
PHP Warning: imagecreatefrompng(): 'test.png' is not a valid PNG file in .../test.php on line 10

I have tried several different png's from several different sources in case the png's where the problem, but alias it seems to effect all png's regardless of origin.

Most interestingly, if I run the same script from the command line (su'd to the webserver user!) I do not get the errors (I get the raw PNG but that's expected).

I'm not sure if that makes it a PHP problem or an apache24 problem, but I can't think of any reason why running the script via the webserver should cause such a problem. No permission issues are in play.

I have two webservers setup very similar, both experience the same problem.

My apologies if this is not the correct place to report such a problem. I have also posted this problem to PHP's Bug Tracking System (https://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=70276) but I'm not 100% sure its a PHP problem (because it works via the CLI).

Note, I spent quite a few hours on this yesterday evening and was running PHP 5.6.11 at the time but I have this morning upgraded to 5.6.12 , however the problem persists.

Any advice gratefully received!

Regards

Steve
# uname -a
Code:
FreeBSD indigo 10.0-RELEASE-p17 FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE-p17 #0: Tue Jan 27 13:45:18 UTC 2015

# httpd -V
Code:
Server version: Apache/2.4.16 (FreeBSD)
Server built: Aug 14 2015 23:52:56
Server's Module Magic Number: 20120211:47
Server loaded: APR 1.5.2, APR-UTIL 1.5.4
Compiled using: APR 1.5.2, APR-UTIL 1.5.4
Architecture: 64-bit
Server MPM: prefork
threaded: no
forked: yes (variable process count)
Server compiled with....
-D APR_HAS_SENDFILE
-D APR_HAS_MMAP
-D APR_HAVE_IPV6 (IPv4-mapped addresses disabled)
-D APR_USE_FLOCK_SERIALIZE
-D APR_USE_PTHREAD_SERIALIZE
-D SINGLE_LISTEN_UNSERIALIZED_ACCEPT
-D APR_HAS_OTHER_CHILD
-D AP_HAVE_RELIABLE_PIPED_LOGS
-D DYNAMIC_MODULE_LIMIT=256
-D HTTPD_ROOT="/usr/local"
-D SUEXEC_BIN="/usr/local/bin/suexec"
-D DEFAULT_PIDLOG="/var/run/httpd.pid"
-D DEFAULT_SCOREBOARD="/var/run/apache_runtime_status"
-D DEFAULT_ERRORLOG="/var/log/httpd-error.log"
-D AP_TYPES_CONFIG_FILE="etc/apache24/mime.types"
-D SERVER_CONFIG_FILE="etc/apache24/httpd.conf"

# php -i
Code:
phpinfo()
PHP Version => 5.6.12

System => FreeBSD indigo 10.0-RELEASE-p17 FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE-p17 #0: Tue Jan 27 13:45:18 UTC 2015 root@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC amd64
Build Date => Aug 15 2015 12:38:40
Configure Command => './configure' '--with-layout=GNU' '--localstatedir=/var' '--with-config-file-scan-dir=/usr/local/etc/php' '--disable-all' '--enable-libxml' '--enable-mysqlnd' '--with-libxml-dir=/usr/local' '--with-pcre-regex=/usr/local' '--with-zlib-dir=/usr' '--program-prefix=' '--enable-fpm' '--with-fpm-user=www' '--with-fpm-group=www' '--with-regex=php' '--with-zend-vm=CALL' '--prefix=/usr/local' '--mandir=/usr/local/man' '--infodir=/usr/local/info/' '--build=amd64-portbld-freebsd10.0' 'build_alias=amd64-portbld-freebsd10.0' 'CC=cc' 'CFLAGS=-O2 '-pipe' '-fstack-protector' '-fno-strict-aliasing'' 'LDFLAGS= '-fstack-protector'' 'LIBS=-lpthread' 'CPPFLAGS=' 'CPP=cpp' 'CXX=c++' 'CXXFLAGS=-O2 '-pipe' '-fstack-protector' '-fno-strict-aliasing''
Server API => Command Line Interface
Virtual Directory Support => disabled
Configuration File (php.ini) Path => /usr/local/etc
Loaded Configuration File => /usr/local/etc/php.ini
Scan this dir for additional .ini files => /usr/local/etc/php
Additional .ini files parsed => /usr/local/etc/php/extensions.ini

PHP API => 20131106
PHP Extension => 20131226
Zend Extension => 220131226
Zend Extension Build => API220131226,NTS
PHP Extension Build => API20131226,NTS
Debug Build => no
Thread Safety => disabled
Zend Signal Handling => disabled
Zend Memory Manager => enabled
Zend Multibyte Support => provided by mbstring
IPv6 Support => enabled
DTrace Support => disabled

Registered PHP Streams => compress.bzip2, php, file, glob, data, http, ftp, https, ftps, compress.zlib, zip, phar
Registered Stream Socket Transports => tcp, udp, unix, udg, ssl, sslv3, sslv2, tls, tlsv1.0, tlsv1.1, tlsv1.2
Registered Stream Filters => bzip2.*, string.rot13, string.toupper, string.tolower, string.strip_tags, convert.*, consumed, dechunk, convert.iconv.*, mcrypt.*, mdecrypt.*, zlib.*
gd

GD Support => enabled
GD Version => bundled (2.1.0 compatible)
FreeType Support => enabled
FreeType Linkage => with freetype
FreeType Version => 2.6.0
T1Lib Support => enabled
GIF Read Support => enabled
GIF Create Support => enabled
JPEG Support => enabled
libJPEG Version => 8
PNG Support => enabled
libPNG Version => 1.6.17
WBMP Support => enabled
XPM Support => enabled
libXpm Version => 30411
XBM Support => enabled
JIS-mapped Japanese Font Support => enabled
zlib

ZLib Support => enabled
Stream Wrapper => compress.zlib://
Stream Filter => zlib.inflate, zlib.deflate
Compiled Version => 1.2.8
Linked Version => 1.2.8

Test script:
Code:
<?php
ini_set('display_errors',1);
ini_set('display_startup_errors',1);
error_reporting(-1);

function LoadPNG($imgname)
{
/* Attempt to open */
$im = imagecreatefrompng($imgname);

/* See if it failed */
if(!$im)
{ // create error image
$im = imagecreatetruecolor(1500, 30);
$bgc = imagecolorallocate($im, 255, 255, 255);
$tc = imagecolorallocate($im, 0, 0, 0);
imagefilledrectangle($im, 0, 0, 1500, 30, $bgc);
imagestring($im, 1, 5, 5, 'Error loading ' . $imgname, $tc);
}

return $im;
}

header('Content-Type: image/png');

$img = LoadPNG('test.png');

imagepng($img);
imagedestroy($img);
?>

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your input. I've upgraded to FreeBSD 10.2...
# uname -a
Code:
FreeBSD teal.spectrumcs.net 10.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 10.2-RELEASE #0 r286666: Wed Aug 12 15:26:37 UTC 2015     root@releng1.nyi.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
# freebsd-version
Code:
10.2-RELEASE-p1

... however the problem persists

Hi,

I build everything from ports as I have some ports that require configuration and I'm wary of mixing and matching ports and packages.

I rebuilt archivers/php5-zlib & graphics/php5-gd several times on Saturday, as well as rebuilding all ports dependant on php56, png, zlib and anything else I could think of at the time.

As a result of the upgrade to FreeBSD 10.2 last night I rebuilt all ports as per a procedure I picked up a couple of years ago....

http://www.stephen-scotter.net/computers/freebsd/upgrading-freebsd-9-1-to-9-2-with-freebsd-update - last paragraph. Can't remember the original source, think it might have been on the end of the manpage for postmaster?

Kind regards

Steve

I've stumbled upon the cause of the problem.

I have several config files which get included by apache by the standard "Include etc/apache24/Includes/*.conf". If I rename the config file containing the following out the way (and therefore not included) imagecreatefrompng works as expected and does not error.

AuthnCacheSOCache dbm

DBDriver mysql
DBDParams "dbname=apache24,user=apache24,pass=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX"

DBDMin 4
DBDKeep 8
DBDMax 20
DBDExptime 300

I have now taken this a step further a commented out one line at a time and re-testing. I've discovered if I comment out the DBDriver mysql line imagecreatefrompng works, but if I don't uncomment it out then imagecreatefrompng errors with "PHP Warning: imagecreatefrompng(): gd-png: fatal libpng error: bad parameters to zlib in .../test.php on line 10"

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why commenting out "DBDriver mysql" in an apache configure file would effect the PHP function imagecreatefrompng()?

o_Oo_Oo_O

Kind regards

Steve

Back