Setting font in VLC (QT5)

Hi,

VLC started using the qt5 toolkit recently. Does anyone know how to change the interface settings, especially the font size?

Regards,
Marco

I noticed some tiny fonts and toggled a couple things after updating VLC the other day. I'm using Xfce. VLC>>Settings>> checked Use native style and Forced window style to GTK+. It picked up my fonts and looks xfce-dusk pretty now.

I'm using Fluxbox as window manager. In VLC I can't force the window style to GTK+, there's no such option. There's only Windows, Fusion and System's default. But these have no effect on the font used in VLC/Qt5.

This works for me with x11-wm/i3:
  1. Add
    Code:
    export QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE=gtk
    to your ~/.xsession or ~/.xinitrc to make any Qt application look like a GTK+ application.
  2. Then add to or create ~/.kde4/share/config/kdeglobals with:
    Code:
    [General]
    font=Cantarell,16,-1,5,50,0,0,0,0,0
    The first entry is the font to use and the second entry is the font size.

Step 2 might only be necessary for me, because I am using x11-themes/gtk-oxygen-engine.

#1: This indeed changes the style to gtk, which is nice, but not the font or fontsize.
#2: I don't have a ~/.kde4 directory, but I'll install gtk-oxygen-engine and see what happens.

Edit: Installing the gtk-oxygen-engine doesn't make a difference either.

You installed x11-themes/gtk-oxygen-engine, but it is a little unclear to me if you have tried changing your GTK+ theme to oxygen-gtk?

I've attached a screenshot just as "proof" that it does work here.

Attachments

• vlc-bigfonts.jpg
    vlc-bigfonts.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 792
Yes I changed the gtk theme to oxygen-gtk. Don't know why it didn't work, all those things don't have any effect. Perhaps more KDE stuff should be installed.

Anyway I ended up building VLC with the ncurses interface and I'll figure out the Qt5 later. Thanks for all the help though.

I upgraded and ran into the same thing yesterday. I tried a number of things but ended up doing a port build with QT4 instead of QT5. Did you find a solution?

Eventually I didn't find a solution. I tried the misc/qt5ct tool first but that actually didn't do anything, so I installed vlc with the ncurses interface. Later I saw that the Qt4 option was reintroduced so ended up building it with the Qt4 interface again too.

Seeing as my solution with kdeglobals is probably only incidental and I am interested in having this work, I tried misc/qt5ct myself now. It works, but you need to add
Code:
export QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=qt5ct
unset QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE
to ~/.xinitrc or ~/.xsession.

If you change any settings, you need to restart your Qt 5 apps for to see any results.

I'll just stick to Qt4 for now. Also because there are some more Qt4 applications on my system, vlc would be the only Qt5 one.

Back