Solved Black screen on exit from xorg server

I have a brand new install with nothing but Xorg installed (Acer Aspire laptop with an Intel GM4500 video card).
On startx, Xwindows starts but is very dark (almost black).
I have found that if I execute setpci -s 00:02.0 F4.B=60 before or after startx the screen will brighten up to be visible. All is good.

However, when I terminate and leave Xwindows the screen goes black. I can still execute commands so I know I'm back to the console shell.

My Xorg.log has an error about drmDropMaster failed:

Code:
  [  673.570] (II) Server zapped. Shutting down.
  [  673.620] (II) config/devd: terminating backend...
  [  673.620] (II) UnloadModule: "mouse"
  [  673.620] (II) UnloadModule: "mouse"
  [  673.620] (II) UnloadModule: "kbd"
  [  674.516] (WW) intel(0): drmDropMaster failed: Unknown error: -22
  [  674.538] (EE) Server terminated successfully (0). Closing log file.

Google isn't much help on this one. I'm stumped. Any thoughts on where to go next?

With the old sc(4) console, once the KMS drivers gets loaded in X you can't switch back to a text console. The vt(4) console resolves this. It would help to know which FreeBSD release you are using and if you are on 10.1-RELEASE you can enable vt(4) by default with the config below.

/boot/loader.conf
Code:
kern.vty=vt

With the old sc(4) console, once the KMS drivers gets loaded in X you can't switch back to a text console. The vt(4) console resolves this. It would help to know which FreeBSD release you are using and if you are on 10.1-RELEASE you can enable vt(4) by default with the config below.

/boot/loader.conf
Code:
kern.vty=vt
I am using 10.1 I will give this a try.

That seems to have worked. I added
Code:
 kern.vty=vt
to /boot/loader.conf.

I can now switch from X to a console and back to X.

The screen still goes black when I terminate the X session.
I had to run setpci -s 00:02.0 F4.B=60 to bring back the screen.

A few helper scripts and things will be workable.

Thanks.

Back