5 Awesome Linux Terminal Tools You Must Know

An almost half hour video to get mention of 5 tools? I understand that you tubers make their money from this, but if you watched the whole thing, you could just list the 5 tools. I realize you made an effort with tldr, but still a simple listing would be nice. It seems to me a step backwards that so many things have youtube vidoes (full of fluff like hope you like this, like, share, subscribe) when the creator could have put up a 2 minutes read page. I didn't watch the video, even putting on captions, turning off sound, and running at 2x speed, a good way to handle most of these "instructional" vidoes, it would take too much time. But, and I'm not being sarcastic, thank you for taking the time to share. I realize that a lot of younger people prefer video to reading.

...and those young people forget what they have watched the next day.
There was a scifi story about a future where there were only two programs for TV which would be streamed in alternation and nobody noticed because of the attention span of a gnat... I can't remember the name, tough.

... and those elderly who reached the state of forgetting what they have read the day before.
No we don't.
Wait was I talking to you?
Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

For the record, I think sharing "I found this interesting, what about these utilities" is fine. I've even tried new things once or twice based on something posted here.
For me at least, it always boils down to the information being presented and me "do I care about that".
Most of the time I really don't. I'll have a network monitor running, so if I see "idle system why is something dinging network" run a quick tcpdump to see the traffic.
CPU, disk usage, iostats, I don't have any issues with my systems that would cause me to care.

a simple listing would be nice.

+1

There is, at least, the array (and sidebar list) of chapters, one of which is The List.

1699580894387.png

Anything in particular?

I rarely touch it, but (at a glance) it seems OK here on FreeBSD 15.0-CURRENT. Screenshot attached.

Also on 15-current/amd64, two different machines:

Code:
ERROR: No UTF-8 locale detected!
Use --utf-force argument to force start if you're sure your terminal can handle it.

Code:
% sudo btop --utf-force
ERROR: Exception in Shared::init() -> key not found

Back