Solved No sound in Firefox

For some time now, when I watch HTML5 videos in Firefox there is no sound.
It used to work, but now it doesn't.

Anyone has any clue on this?

Firefox options:
Code:
DBUS
GIO
GSTREAMER
LOGGING
ALSA

fwiw, Firefox plays audio in video for me but, as I'm typing this, I forgot to check if it was HTML5 video (it does play HTML5 audio). Hang on.
EDIT: Yep, HTML5 video/audio works for me in FF.

What FreeBSD version do you use? I'm using 9.2.
And do you build firefox from ports or use packages?
If from ports, what options have you selected?

No problems here with Firefox 28.0,1 on 9.2-STABLE AMD64 with all options off except alsa, gstreamer, and logging.

ADDED:
I have a few other boxes that are fine with this same setup, but on one 9.2-STABLE i386 box, Firefox is so unstable it's not usable. I don't have the gstreamer ports installed that @protocelt mentioned, but HTML5 videos on YouTube work fine as long as I spoof my user-agent so YouTube is happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
jrm said:
No problems here with Firefox 28.0,1 on 9.2-STABLE AMD64 with all options off except alsa, gstreamer, and logging.

I stand corrected :r I just uninstalled the ports I mentioned above and now continue to be able playing HTML5 video with audio on 6 different websites I checked. That's odd as I couldn't play audio and sometimes video also when Firefox 28 first made the ports tree without the mentioned plugins. I am also using FreeBSD 10-STABLE however.

protocelt said:
If your using the latest Firefox port, it uses the newer multimedia/gstreamer1 framework for audio/video decoding, in particular multimedia/gstreamer1-libav. I've found that many websites with HTML5 video don't work without extra gstreamer1 plugins installed. I have the following extra gstreamer1 plugins installed and have had no problems thus far with HTML5 videos:

I only have
  • gstreamer1-1.2.3
  • gstreamer1-libav-1.2.3
  • gstreamer1-plugins-1.2.3
  • gstreamer1-plugins-good-1.2.3

I'll update my packages (because of OpenSSL bug) and install missing gstreamer1 plugins...

Just updated Firefox to 29.0 still no sound. grrrr.
Looks like I'll have to try FreeBSD packages to see if Firefox from package repo can make a sound.

I've compiled firefox with this options:
Code:
ALSA=on: ALSA audio architecture support
           PULSEAUDIO=off: PulseAudio sound server support

and
alsa-plugins with this
Code:
     FFMPEG=on: FFmpeg support (WMA, AIFF, AC3, APE...)
     JACK=on: JACK audio server support
     PULSEAUDIO=off: PulseAudio sound server support
     SAMPLERATE=on: Sample rate conversion support
     SPEEX=on: Speex audio format support
====> Open Sound System support
     IO_PTR=on: Precise playback/recording pointer
     BLKCNT_P2=off: Restrict number of fragments to ^2 aligned
     BUFSZ_P2=on: Restrict buffer size to ^2 aligned (breaks aplay)
     VERBOSE=off: Print debugging messages
(and I've forgotten to allow in NoScript youtube ytimg and googlevideo )

this works for me, there is sound with flash and if i wish only with html5.

Seams all I had to do was to simply update: /usr/local/etc/asound.conf

I just copied over the sample file over the config file, and sound in Firefox started working.
Finally.

Hello!

I read a lot of articles on the forum. I tried everything to solve my problem. What is interesting is I have sound in Opera.
Chromium no sound, Firefox no sound. ;/

Did you try copying /usr/local/etc/asound.conf.sample over /usr/local/etc/asound.conf

That solved issue for me

Found my own solution to my own similar problem which was quite similar. Posting in case others find this thread helpful.

FF was built with audio/pulseaudio option turned on. Instead of recompiling I investigated and found the default sink was set to the hda outputs (HDMI) of the sound card. When I used pacmd to set the default sink to the correct device (you get a list of devices with pacmd list-sinks and the starred sink is the active one) sound started working in FF.

Perhaps the simplest option is to disable support for audio/pulseaudio in www/firefox when building from ports.

Found my own solution to my own similar problem which was quite similar. Posting in case others find this thread helpful.

FF was built with audio/pulseaudio option turned on. Instead of recompiling I investigated and found the default sink was set to the hda outputs (HDMI) of the sound card. When I used pacmd to set the default sink to the correct device (you get a list of devices with pacmd list-sinks and the starred sink is the active one) sound started working in FF.

Perhaps the simplest option is to disable support for audio/pulseaudio in www/firefox when building from ports.
I noticed this too. IMHO audio/pulseaudio should be patched to defaulting to whatever is set in hw.snd.default_unit. Everything else doesn't make any sense to me, unless you want to subject your users to needless pain.

Currently, I do have sound that works from watching youtube in Firefox. I'm using a Soundblaster SB0100 which is suppose to have built in drivers.

My question is, does this gstreamer or pulseaudio firefox comes with override the snd_emu10k1 driver? Or just don't worry about it, that's how it is supposed to work (basically interested in the best sound quality)?

I've gone years without sound on this little Dell p24t. A mixture of these answers solved it. I needed to do both:

Code:
$ pacmd set-default-sink 0
$ sysctl hw.snd.default_unit=0

FreeBSD was finding the devices but default output was going to the HDMI port instead of the built-in speakers.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Back