intel,nvidia,optimus in xorg.conf

Dear Friends:

My intel video card is:
Code:
"2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller".
So how to compose the driver in xorg.conf?
by the way, my laptop has another video card: Nvidia with optimus support. So, how to handle these 2 cards to save battery?

Thanks in advance!

As far as I know Optimus still causes problems. If you can, turn it off in the BIOS. Unfortunately that means you can only use one of the videocards, not both.

Thanks, that's it. But no chance to choose video cards in BIOS. so how about the xorg.conf? Xorg -configure just generate driver vesa for Intel card.

The newer version of the Intel Graphics driver is not enabled by default in the 10.0 release if I recall right and so you have to add WITH_NEW_XORG=yes and rebuild some ports by yourself. All Intel devices up to Ivy Bridge should be supported then. Latest Haswell CPUs are still listed as unsupported. Everything is from the wiki page linked above, where you can also find which ports you have to rebuild, see the "Installing KMS Ports" section.

Thanks! I will try it. How about KMS? Do I still need to configure KMS in make.conf?

Yes, but after put WITH_NEW_XORG=yes into /etc/make.conf. Then pkg update, no change at all.

I don't see any pkg update on that wiki page, do you? Please try to read that one section mentioned before. You'll see three commands listed there which you can copy'n'paste.

xwwu said:
Yes, but after put WITH_NEW_XORG=yes into /etc/make.conf. Then pkg update, no change at all.
Settings in /etc/make.conf are only activated when you build from ports. It has no effect on packages. You can't change any of the build options on packages (because they're already built).

portmaster xorg again and Xorg -configure. the driver for Intel is still vesa. Not any improvement.

Why?

Back