Failed to set mtrr: Problem to run E17

I have installed the new version FreeBSD 10.0-RC on a separate partition on my laptop (triple boot). I installed X.Org and Enlightenment. But with the startx command it only runs Twm and with the xinit command a white terminal in a black screen. This is the error:
Code:
$startx
xauth: file /home/saeed/.serverauth.**** does not exist.
xauth: (argv):1:bad display name "saeedbsd:0" in "list" command.
xauth: (stdin):1:bad display name "saeedbsd:0" in "add" command.
And after exiting in the last line of comments the error is this
Code:
failed to set mtrr: Invalid argument
xinit: connection to x server lost
and I have to use ctrl+c to go back to the prompt.

trh411 said:
Code:
exec /usr/local/bin/enlightenment_start
in your ~/.xinitrc file.
I've always been told that something along the lines of (taken from a ~/.xinitrc I actually use on some machines, so please excuse the different WM being used)
Code:
#!/bin/sh

# Definitions

WM_NAME=blackbox
WM_PATH=/usr/local/bin/${WM_NAME}
WM_ARGS=

# Start the window manager and remember its PID.

${WM_PATH} ${WM_ARGS} &
WM_PID=$!

# Launch some stuff

/usr/local/bin/xv -root -quit -max /home/fonz/background.jpg

# Wait for the window manager to die, then exit.

wait ${WM_PID}

exit 0
is a neater way. Does anyone think it would make much of a difference?

That's certainly very different from the example ~/.xinitrc snippet that startx(1) provides. Your ~/.xinitrc script appears to remain active until the window manager exits, if I am reading it correctly. I do not know what the advantage, if any, of that would be.

It's more complicated. Unless the WM variables are going to be used for multiple window managers, or something needs to be run after the window manager exits, the extra complication is not useful.

Fortunately, I could run E17 by # xinit as root. I had created the xinitrc file as @trh411 had said in my previous topic. This time I logged as normal user, but I couldn't run E17. So then I didn't do what @fonz wrote. But I get this error when I get enter to E17:
Code:
Your display server does not support XC composite, or Ecore-X was built without XComposite support.
Note that for composite support you will also need XRender and Xfixes support in X11 and Ecore.
I can't launch Chromium or Mplayer:
Code:
Chromium stopped running unexpectedly.
No error message.
And I can not mount other drives which I think is because of the hard drive layout. Maybe I should change fstab and enter UUIDs by myself.

Thank you all.

@@fonz: I tried to obey strict rules of writing. Tell me if I have to make a new topic again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saeediranzad said:
Fortunately, I could run E17 by # xinit as root. I had created the xinitrc file as @trh411 had said in my previous topic. This time I logged as normal user, but I couldn't run E17. So then I didn't do what @fonz wrote. But I get this error when I get enter to E17:
Code:
Your display server does not support XC composite, or Ecore-X was built without XComposite support.
Note that for composite support you will also need XRender and Xfixes support in X11 and Ecore.
How did you install x11/xorg and www/enlightenment? If you installed them as pre-compiled packages rather than ports, it's possible they and their dependencies were built without (or with conflicting) XComposite support. You might find this thread helpful https://forums.freebsd.org/viewtopic.php?&t=36562.

By my count, you have mentioned at least 4 separate issues in this thread. Please avoid bringing up new problems in an opened thread. It makes it much harder for us to help. New problems should be opened as new threads in the appropriate forum.

wblock@ said:
Unless the WM variables are going to be used for multiple window managers
Presently not, but that was indeed the case. I had different set-ups for different window managers, all somewhere in ~/desktop/<some_wm>, and when I wanted to change window managers I only had to change one variable; everything else got adjusted from there.

trh411 said:
Your ~/.xinitrc script appears to remain active until the window manager exits, if I am reading it correctly. I do not know what the advantage, if any, of that would be.
I'm not entirely certain, but I suspect that the main idea was that perhaps some window managers lacked their own mechanisms for launching applications on start-up, setting the desktop background (or wallpaper, if you prefer Microsoft speak), that sort of thing. And it was quite possible back then that there could be problems with window managers having to "adopt" already existing windows, so any such applications had to be launched after the window manager had been started. In fact, I think there even used to be sleep commands in there just to get everything started in the right order.

Nowadays this probably isn't much of an issue any more, but I've always kept using (versions of) that script.

trh411 said:
Saeediranzad said:
Code:
How did you install x11/xorg and www/enlightenment? If you installed them as pre-compiled packages rather than ports, it's possible they and their dependencies were built without (or with conflicting) XComposite support. You might find this thread helpful https://forums.freebsd.org/viewtopic.php?&t=36562.

By my count, you have mentioned at least 4 separate issues in this thread. Please avoid bringing up new problems in an opened thread. It makes it much harder for us to help. New problems should be opened as new threads in the appropriate forum.
I installed Xorg from packages and Enlightenment from ports. That thread just gave me a command:
Code:
 $ xdpyinfo | grep -i composite
    Composite
So what next? They didn't say anything clearly. The problem is that I am not a geek. I don't know what this means:
Does make config in that port show an option to enable/disable composite?
But I understand how to edit a file or use a command. I think there is only one problem which is the configuration of Enlightenment. If I could solve it then I would set the others up. Besides I can not see accessories in its menu. Shouldn't they be there?

Saeediranzad said:
I think there is only one problem which is the configuration of Enlightenment. If I could solve it then I would set the others up. Besides I can not see accessories in its menu. Shouldn't they be there?
What "accessories" are you expecting to see in your x11-wm/enlightenment menu?

Items get into the E17 menus in one of three ways:

• 1) the E17 installation process adds some already installed programs in its menu. For example, www/chromium was automatically added to the E17 Internet menu when I installed x11-wm/enlightenment. x11/rxvt-unicode was not added to any menu. I had to add it myself (see list item 3 below).
    2) E17 adds some programs to its menu if they are installed after E17 is installed. For example, graphics/gimp was automatically added to the E17 Graphics menu when I installed it after E17 was already installed.
    3) Programs manually to the menu through the settings panel.

Those which are mentioned in the modules like text editor and image viewer. I have Chromium and Mplayer in the menu, but they don't run (no error message).

Another point is that I see E16 in the menu. Is E16 part of E17 by default? I installed E16-themes because I couldn't find E17-themes, but then I removed them because I thought that would be part of the problem. The main problem is configuration, something about Ecore and how it finds other elements.

Back