squid "permission denied..." no matter what

When I try to start the Squid service, www/lusca-head, with /usr/local/etc/rc.d/squid start, I'm getting the following error:
Code:
FATAL: Unable to open configuration file: /usr/local/etc/squid/squid.conf: (13) Permission denied
Trying to initialize the cache, with squid -z, I get the error:
Code:
FATAL: Failed to make swap directory /var/cache/squid/aufs: (13) Permission denied
In my squid.conf I have the following lines:
Code:
cache_dir aufs /var/cache/squid/aufs 30720 16 256
cache_effective_user squid
cache_effective_group wheel

In /etc/passwd
Code:
squid:*:100:100:Squid caching-proxy pseudo user:/usr/local/squid:/usr/sbin/nologin

In /etc/fstab
Code:
/dev/gpt/cacheaufs /var/cache/squid ufs rw      2       2

ls -l /usr/local/etc/squid/squid.conf returns
Code:
-rwxr--r--  1 squid  wheel  3329 Aug 14 21:11 /usr/local/etc/squid/squid.conf

And ls -l /var/cache/squid returns
Code:
drwxrwxrwx  18 squid  wheel  512 Aug 14 19:26 aufs

That's really weird, since even setting the correct user and file permissions in those files I cannot start the service. Does anybody know what could be done to start it?

I don't understand why anything run by Squid would be group-owned by wheel. It's entirely unnecessary. The cache directory itself (the one that contains the 00, 01, etc. directories) can be squid:squid and 755. The configuration file should be squid:squid, 444. I see you have a separate mountpoint for your cache. It may be worth the try to change the mountpoint to squid:squid as well (before mounting, so the mountpoint, not the mounted directory).

DutchDaemon said:
I don't understand why anything run by Squid would be group-owned by wheel. It's entirely unnecessary. The cache directory itself (the one that contains the 00, 01, etc. directories) can be squid:squid and 755. The configuration file should be squid:squid, 444. I see you have a separate mountpoint for your cache. It may be worth the try to change the mountpoint to squid:squid as well (before mounting, so the mountpoint, not the mounted directory).

Changed some permissions and owners
chown -R squid:squid /var/cache/squid
chmod -R 755 /var/cache/squid
chown squid:squid /usr/local/etc/squid/squid.conf
chmod 444 /usr/local/etc/squid/squid.conf

Now in /usr/local/etc/squid/squid.conf I have
Code:
cache_effective_group squid

Still receiving
Code:
FATAL: Unable to open configuration file: /usr/local/etc/squid/squid.conf: (13) Permission denied
when I try to /usr/local/etc/rc.d/squid start

and
Code:
FATAL: Failed to make swap directory /var/cache/squid/aufs: (13) Permission denied
with squid -z

I forget to mention that I have the line
Code:
squid_user="squid"
in /etc/rc.conf too.

I tried to pkg_delete "lusca-head*" then reinstall it again, but is no go either.

igorino said:
Code:

Check # ls -ld /usr/local/etc/squid. Mine is:

Code:
drwxr-xr-x  4 root  squid  512 Jan  7 09:46 /usr/local/etc/squid

igorino said:
Code:

Try # chmod -R g+w /var/cache/squid

Make sure the mountpoint has the correct permissions. Unmount the cache first.

DutchDaemon said:
Make sure the mountpoint has the correct permissions. Unmount the cache first.

Setting the correct permission and owner on /var/cache did the trick.

Must be some concept that I was mistaken about. If in /etc/fstab I have the line
Code:
/dev/gpt/cacheaufs /var/cache/squid ufs rw      2       2
then my mountpoint is /var/cache not /var/cache/squid?

Thank you everybody!

p.s.: I almost feel ashamed for not having mentioned that I have two other partitions for COSS cache too.

Back