PXE problem

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to configure a PXE Server. I configured DHCP and TFTP. I'm trying to install SmartOs via PXE. When I boot one machine over the network I can see that I received TCP/IP configurations, but when it tries to download the image boot file I get an error as you can see in the attachments. I'm not sure if is some TFTP configuration or not. I followed this tutorial:

http://blog.smartcore.net.au/smartos-network-boot-with-pxe/

I installed Apache and from a browser I can access my PXE server and download the boot image.

I appreciate who can help me, this is very important :)

PS.: If you need further information to help solve my problem just tell me and I'll give you what you need.

My best regards,

André Barradas

Attachments

• Sem Título.jpg
    Sem Título.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 575
  • Sem Título1.jpg
    Sem Título1.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 724
I found that tutorial on Internet, but thanks for give that link too :) But I'll be glad if someone knows what can be the problem here. By the way I'm using virtual machines with Vmware Player.

andrebarradas said:
Will I have problems if I use VMware instead of VirtualBox?

Maybe not. I don't know, I use VirtualBox and know that it works there.

BTW I advanced in my problem, now I got this problem:
http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/2424/fu8i.jpg

That is a new problem, Ubuntu failing to boot. Without knowing what is in /usr/tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default, it's hard to identify the problem. I suggest following my PXE article in post #2, the procedures were tested.

When I tried to boot Xubuntu, an error appeared saying
Code:
(initramfs)Unable to find a medium containing a live file system

Code:
label xubuntu
  menu label Xubuntu
  kernel memdisk
  initrd [url]http://192.168.61.198/images/xubuntu-13.04-desktop-i386.iso[/url]
  append iso raw

This is what I have in menu, I tried with kernel vmlinuz but it didn't run when I press xubuntu in the client. With memdisk it started, Xubuntu started loading, but after that it gave that error above.

With the information you have given, there is just no way to tell what the problem might be. It could be that some of the configuration was missed, or file permissions. I've found with Syslinux that I had to rename some files to 8.3 format or they would not be found.

I just tested here, and XUbuntu 13.04 does not load from a CD. It works fine with NFS as shown in my article:
Code:
label xubuntu
  menu label XUbuntu
  kernel http://192.168.1.1/images/xubuntu/casper/vmlinuz
  append boot=casper netboot=nfs nfsroot=192.168.1.1:/usr/tftpboot/images/xubuntu
  initrd http://192.168.1.1/images/xubuntu/casper/initrd.lz

/etc/exports
Code:
/usr/tftpboot -alldirs,ro -mapall=nobody:nobody -network 192.168.1.1/24

Well, when I'm booting FreeBSD I can see that I got an message while booting that says
Code:
NFSv4 is disabled
and I had enable in /etc/rc.conf like in tutorial. What's happening?

I tried to do what you said, and when XUbuntu is booting it gives some messages saying
Code:
nfsmount:need a path
sequentialy. It gives like 20 messages like that and then it says
Code:
(initramfs done) Unable to find a live file system on the network

wblock@ said:
Did you mount the CD and copy the files from it to the /usr/tftpboot/images/xubuntu/ directory?

Problem solved... Thanks a lot for your help.

BTW, this is for my final project of course and I'm doing two different solutions. One to boot Linux like this and another one to boot a Windows systems. I'm using Windows Deployment Services. Have you done something to boot Windows or you just know for Unix?

Thanks in advance

Sorry, I have no idea how to boot Windows in a PXE environment. It would be pretty hilarious to see it running on NFS, if that is even possible.

Not possible directly with an NFS share because the root filesystem has to be either FAT32 or NTFS. Exporting a block device (ZVOL for example) with iSCSI is the way as far as I know.

BTW, just one question about PXE server in FreeBSD. In dhcpd.conf I have an option root-path pointing to /usr/tftpboot/images/xubuntu, but I want to have another Linux distro, for example Fedora, how can I change that option, if I create a directory named Fedora in /usr/tftpboot/images?

I mean, if I have a directory like /usr/tftpboot/images/xubuntu with Xubuntu files after mount and another file with /usr/tftpboot/images/ubuntu with Ubuntu files after mount in /usr/tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default I'll have this:

Code:
label xubuntu
  menu label XUbuntu
  kernel images/xubuntu/vmlinuz
  append boot=casper netboot=nfs nfsroot=192.168.61.198:/usr/tftpboot/images/xubuntu
  initrd images/xubuntu/initrd.lz

label ubuntu
  menu label ubuntu
  kernel images/ubuntu/vmlinuz
  append boot=casper netboot=nfs nfsroot=192.168.61.198:/usr/tftpboot/images/ubuntu
  initrd images/uubuntu/initrd.lz

But what I need to have in /etc/exports and in option root-path of DHCP? How I say in DHCP options that I have two images to boot?

Back