403 Forbidden

It's not possible to browse those directories any more. It put too much of a strain on the servers. So the 403 is correct, directory browsing is not allowed. It doesn't impact the actual fetching of specific files.

It's not possible to browse those directories any more. It put too much of a strain on the servers. So the 403 is correct, directory browsing is not allowed. It doesn't impact the actual fetching of specific files.
Good to know, I shall immediately update a guide of mine which actually uses this method to check up on package repositories.

It was one of my favorite methods of digging up old program versions..
I knew it was a draw on resources when you hit the /All directory it took a while to populate the list.

• Thanks
Reactions: a6h
I often browsed the list too, just to look for specific packages or to verify a question on the forums. There was a post about the switching off of the directory browsing on one of the mailing lists. I'll try and find it again.

Maybe as an alternative there might be a way to generate a static HTML page with the info each time the repository is updated, instead of having the web server generate this list dynamically with every request. That would probably fix the load issues.

Back