Solved 3 conflicting packages after integrity check

I see the following problem when I want to update the FreeBSD 12.3 packages:

Code:
Checking integrity... done (3 conflicting)
  - boehm-gc-threaded-8.2.2 conflicts with boehm-gc-8.0.6 on /usr/local/include/gc/gc_pthread_redirects.h
  - libxcvt-0.1.2_1 conflicts with xorg-server-1.20.14,1 on /usr/local/bin/cvt
  - openldap26-client-2.6.3 conflicts with openldap24-client-2.4.59_4 on /usr/local/bin/ldapadd
Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
Conflicts with the existing packages have been found.
One more solver iteration is needed to resolve them.

Then I read /usr/ports/UPDATING to see if I can find info on this. But I don't think anything is said about boehm and libxcvt. There is some mention of openldap but I don't know if it has to do with my problem.

Are these types of conflicts safe to ignore or should I investigate more before updating?

You have a bunch of old packages lingering around. Have you ever done a pkg-autoremove(8)?

openldap24-client should be removed, it got replaced with openldap26-client a while ago. How you managed to have both installed is strange.

Reactions: mer
openldap24-client should be removed, it got replaced with openldap26-client a while ago. How you managed to have both installed is strange.
It leads to problems when I want to remove it:

Code:
pkg remove openldap24-client
Deinstallation has been requested for the following 25 packages (of 0 packages in the universe):

Installed packages to be REMOVED:
akonadi: 22.04.3_1
cups-filters: 1.28.15_2
evince: 42.3_1
evolution-data-server: 3.44.2
falkon: 22.04.3
folks: 0.15.5
gimp: 2.10.32,2
gimp-gutenprint: 5.3.3_1
gnome-calendar: 42.2
gnome-maps: 42.2
gnome-todo: 41.0_2
gutenprint: 5.3.3
gvfs: 1.46.2_2
kaccounts-integration: 22.04.3
kf5-purpose: 5.95.0
libreoffice: 7.3.5.2
mysql57-client: 5.7.38
mysql57-server: 5.7.38
nautilus: 42.1
openldap24-client: 2.4.59_4
qt5-sqldrivers-mysql: 5.15.5p165
samba412: 4.12.15_4
thunar: 4.16.11
xfce: 4.16
xfce4-desktop: 4.16.0

Number of packages to be removed: 25

The operation will free 838 MiB.

Proceed with deinstalling packages? [y/N]:

I regularly do pkg autoremove but there are a few packages that keep popping up that I can't easily remove:

Code:
pkg autoremove
Deinstallation has been requested for the following 10 packages:

Installed packages to be REMOVED:
    docbook: 1.5
    docbook-sgml: 4.5_1
    docbook-xml: 5.0_3
    docbook-xsl: 1.79.1_1,1
    iso8879: 1986_3
    kf5-kdoctools: 5.95.0
    libffi33: 3.3_2
    sdocbook-xml: 1.1_2,2
    xmlcatmgr: 2.2_3
    xmlcharent: 0.3_2

Number of packages to be removed: 10

The operation will free 59 MiB.

Proceed with deinstalling packages? [y/N]: N

Code:
pkg remove openldap24-client 
Deinstallation has been requested for the following 25 packages (of 0 packages in the universe):
Upgrade all your installed packages. You appear to have a mix of old and new dependencies. As I said, the default OpenLDAP changed a while ago from 2.4 to 2.6. So everything should depend on OpenLDAP 2.6, not 2.4.

Upgrade all your installed packages. You appear to have a mix of old and new dependencies. As I said, the default OpenLDAP changed a while ago from 2.4 to 2.6. So everything should depend on OpenLDAP 2.6, not 2.4.
I upgraded everything as you requested and I ran into one problem which I solved in the following way:
Code:
[104/325] Installing openldap24-client-2.4.59_4...
[104/325] Extracting openldap24-client-2.4.59_4: 100%
[105/325] Installing openldap26-client-2.6.3...
pkg: openldap26-client-2.6.3 conflicts with openldap24-client-2.4.59_4 (installs files into the same place).  Problematic file: /usr/local/bin/ldapadd
root@host:/usr/home/user # rm /usr/local/bin/ldapadd
root@host:/usr/home/user # pkg upgrade

Is it problematic what I've done or the correct solution?

Voltaire I would have pkg delete openldap24-client, but if a pkg info | grep openldap shows only openldap26 your solution works.
Make sure to do pkg autoremove

I would have pkg delete openldap24-client
Use pkg delete -f openldap24-client This will remove the package without also removing everything that depends on it. This "missing" dependency should resolve itself when everything is updated and depends on openldap26-client.

Is it problematic what I've done or the correct solution?
Neither. The conflict exists between the two packages. So just having one installed will automatically conflict with the other (the existence of that specific file is irrelevant). That's also the reason why you couldn't have installed both without forcing the installation (and that's a bad idea for this exact reason).

Code:
.if defined(CLIENT_ONLY)
CONFLICTS_INSTALL=	${PORTNAME}2[0-57-9]-client ${PORTNAME}-client
.else
CONFLICTS_INSTALL=	${PORTNAME}2[0-57-9]-server ${PORTNAME}-server
.endif

Neither. The conflict exists between the two packages. So just having one installed will automatically conflict with the other (the existence of that specific file is irrelevant). That's also the reason why you couldn't have installed both without forcing the installation (and that's a bad idea for this exact reason).

Code:
.if defined(CLIENT_ONLY)
CONFLICTS_INSTALL=    ${PORTNAME}2[0-57-9]-client ${PORTNAME}-client
.else
CONFLICTS_INSTALL=    ${PORTNAME}2[0-57-9]-server ${PORTNAME}-server
.endif
By deleting that one file the update was able to continue if I gave the pkg upgrade command again. I should have used pkg delete but didn't know this existed, although it makes sense that it exists.
pkg info | grep openldap shows only openldap26.
It seems SirDice thinks I haven't damaged my system by my wrong way. So can I leave it like that?

I used to always have certain packages that popped up with pkg autoremove but I couldn't remove them because other packages turned out to be dependent. Now those packages were suddenly gone when I did pkg autoremove, and there were 5 other packages that I could remove. I deleted them and now no more packages are found when I run this command. The pkg autoremove command seems to be working as it should since today.

It seems SirDice thinks I haven't damaged my system by my wrong way. So can I leave it like that?
Check if you have that /usr/local/bin/ldapadd now. If openldap26-client got reinstalled or upgraded it should be restored. If it's still missing you may need to do pkg install -f openldap26-client to restore that file.

Check if you have that /usr/local/bin/ldapadd now. If openldap26-client got reinstalled or upgraded it should be restored. If it's still missing you may need to do pkg install -f openldap26-client to restore that file.
The file is on my system but I can tell by the icon that it is a link, and also when I check the properties I see the following:
Kind: link to ldapmodify

I'm going to leave it at that.
Please inform me if it turns out that my method can negatively affect the functioning of my system.

Back