2024 Batch image editor - PhotoscapeX or XnView MP alternatives for FreeBSD

I'm tooling along in my FreeBSD happiness, when suddenly, I come to a screeching halt in my picture processing pipeline. I tend to do a lot of pdf to image to pdf work and part of that work involves batch edits to do color, levels and the like across hundreds of pages at a time. In MacOS, I've used PhotoscapeX and XnViewMP, on Linux, XnViewMP works, too. What's a program that will allow me to quickly select hundreds of images, mess with filters, levels, colors and the like, with interactive previews in FreeBSD. Gimp, to my knowledge, doesn't really do batch and after the fact application of profiles (meaning without interactive preview) is a frustrating and annoying experience. If you can imagine working out a profile, then applying it, then viewing the results, then fixing the profile, etc. It's madness. So, what I'm looking for is interactive live update of the preview and the ability to look at the results as I scroll through the images. Either of the aforementioned programs are capable of this and work on Mac/Linux, but so far as I know, not on FreeBSD - help!

I tried XnView in linux emulation - that's a bit more than I'm prepared to troubleshoot. How to run a qt app in a chroot, why are libs missing even after apt update/upgrade, etc.

Via wine, the old 32 bit windows version isn't unusable. A little unstable, but once you point it at the images, you can do the adjustments, see them being applied, and run the batch without it bailing. Still looking for a better solutions.

I might misunderstand your requirements, but rawtherapee has batch capabilities, after developing a profile interactively with vision, that I find satisfactory.

Via wine, the old 32 bit windows version isn't unusable. A little unstable, but once you point it at the images, you can do the adjustments, see them being applied, and run the batch without it bailing. Still looking for a better solutions.

The newest 64-Bit version works aswell what about that?

Photoscape 3.7 works aswell in Wine.

I might misunderstand your requirements, but rawtherapee has batch capabilities, after developing a profile interactively with vision, that I find satisfactory.
I don't know what vision is, but rawtherapee looks like it does batch edit with preview stuff - a little different than I'm used to. But, I'll give it a shot.

The newest 64-Bit version works aswell what about that?

Photoscape 3.7 works aswell in Wine.
Shonuff. This'll work. It took me a bit to figure out that my wine install was 32 bit - binary error, so:

Code:
WINEPREFIX="/home/wsenn/.wine-new" wine64 ~/Downloads/XnViewMP-win-x64.exe

Perhaps you may try with ImageMagick?

That's funny. I use it all the time, but it's not a good solution for this problem. Now, if I was building an app, I might use it to do the work. Or, if I had a set of transformations figured out, it'd be good for execution. The problem is figuring out the transformations - for that I need the ability to see what each change does to the file in real time.

Back