2+1 questions

Hello to all.

I just install FreeBSD 13-Current and I am very happy for that. I would like to ask, if anyone knows, a couple of questions:

a) My (elan) touchpad does not work... is there any solution?
b) using the Fn keys I can increase/decrease volume but NOT the screen brightness. Any idea?

and a naive question (please, excuse me I am a newcomer)

c) is there any way to update the base system? I tried

# freebsd-update fetch/install

with no luck.

Thank you all in advance!

If you are a newcomer to FreeBSD, suggest you use a release branch, which is meant for production: 12.1-RELEASE. You can then easily do binary upgrades using the freebsd-update command.

If using src to do buildworld, I'm going to recommend Warren Block's quick guide to updating with source. As has been said, in a case like this you're much better off using 12.1-RELEASE at present. CURRENT, while it is a good way to see what will be coming is not supported on these forums, unless you can disguise your question as an I hate Linux thread, somehow.
It also, as you've found, doesn't work with freebsd-update so takes more time to update. Anyway, Mr. Block's guide is at

http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/buildworld.html

If you are a newcomer to FreeBSD, suggest you use a release branch, which is meant for production: 12.1-RELEASE. You can then easily do binary upgrades using the freebsd-update command.

The reason why symmetria.gop is using 13.0-CURRENT is because of his Ryzen 7 3700U Vega 10 GPU. That device runs for the time being only on that development branch.

Last edited:
I'd like to note that none of the moderators interfered because it's reasonable to ask about CURRENT in this case as an exeption. Thank you! This thread is solved? symmetria.gop: on 1st post: click "..."->edit thread->prefix: solved.

Reactions: a6h
I'd like to note that none of the moderators interfered because it's reasonable to ask about CURRENT in this case as an exeption. Thank you! This thread is solved? symmetria.gop: on 1st post: click "..."->edit thread->prefix: solved.

Hello. Well, it is partially solved. The 2 first questions have not been answered.

Under normal circumstances FreeBSD CURRENT is unsupported here on Forums, Forum rules - Topics about unsupported FreeBSD versions, and what is expected from users Tracking a Development Branch.

This thread is to give you a start, but don't be surprised when future threads regarding CURRENT are closed by a moderator. You can get help on freebsd-current@freebsd.org and/or freebsd-questions@freebsd.org lists.

a) My (elan) touchpad does not work... is there any solution?
Try one of the search results for "elan elantech touchpad":
Other search results:
b) using the Fn keys I can increase/decrease volume but NOT the screen brightness. Any idea?
Try acpi_video(4). backlight(9) hasn't been committed yet to the CURRENT source tree, if you like you can follow the svn-src-head@freebsd.org mailing list to be informed when it is:

Be advised, sometimes updating CURRENT may break the system, and it's expected from the user to know how to revert to a previous working state. Don't worry, if it's the case, it's not complicated.

Prelimininary: Elan & ElanTech are the same. I don't know, I never had such. I can only point you to
  1. TouchPad: echo hw.psm.elantech_support=\"1\" >>/boot/loader.conf (or loader.conf.local)
    sysctl -d hw.psm to see related sysctl(8) knobs ( hw.psm.tap_*).
    Very likely you need to run moused(8) with the -l 2 flag: sysrc moused_flags+=" -l 2". RTFM psm(4) & moused(8) on that.
  2. To activate the brightness keys, I have created a file /usr/local/etc/devd/acpi-video-intel-backlight.conf
    Code:
    notify 100 {
    match "system" "ACPI";
    match "subsystem" "Video";
    match "type" "brightness";
    action "/usr/local/bin/intel_backlight $notify";
    };
    Obviously, this only works if you can use an external utility like graphics/intel-backlight for your system. IIRC this is not the only method. You could ask on the mailing list <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>. You have to subscribe before you can post (see @top of the forum page).
  3. Maybe install the acpi_<vendor> kernel module for your system: e.g. sysrc kld_list+=" acpi_ibm" for IBM or Lenovo laptops. ls /boot/kernel/acpi*
Good luck & happy BSD'ing.

Under normal circumstances FreeBSD CURRENT is unsupported here on Forums, Forum rules - Topics about unsupported FreeBSD versions, and what is expected from users Tracking a Development Branch.

This thread is to give you a start, but don't be surprised when future threads regarding CURRENT are closed by a moderator. You can get help on freebsd-current@freebsd.org and/or freebsd-questions@freebsd.org lists.

Try one of the search results for "elan elantech touchpad":
Other search results:

Try acpi_video(4). backlight(9) hasn't been committed yet to the CURRENT source tree, if you like you can follow the svn-src-head@freebsd.org mailing list to be informed when it is:

Be advised, sometimes updating CURRENT may break the system, and it's expected from the user to know how to revert to a previous working state. Don't worry, if it's the case, it's not complicated.

You are very kind and helpful. Most obliged.

Back