How to install a browser

I'm new to BSD and am trying to install a browser, I've installed the firefox package but I'm not sure how to run it. I've also installed the Opera browser, but when I type opera into the command it says,

opera: cannot connect to X server
opera: Fatal error on creating Qt application object

One configures/installs xorg
(xorg, xorg-lite, xorg-minimal or something)
then configures it (may take a while)
(screen resolution, mouse, video card, etc)
then installs and configures a window manager, though
I think twm maybe is default with Xorg.
then if /xterm/ or /roxterm/ or /aterm/ or another
is installed, one can type
"opera" etc into the terminal with the X-server
background, and the browser should start, and connect
if your network is up.

I might have missed a few steps.

hmm, I tried working the xorg thing, but all i get is a black screen and the computer becomes unresponsive, is there any way to run a browser without xorg?

looks like i'm gonna have to try to fix xorg first. My problem is when I run startx the screen goes black and I no longer have use of my keyboard or mouse, I have to turn it off manually, I'm using a usb keyboard and mouse so I don't know if hald and dbus will work.

commanderwill said:
I did, with the same results. Black screen no response from the keyboard.

Please read the Handbook section on X11 Configuration shown by Hinata. It will save you time.

Those services only get started after a reboot. You can start them manually:
# service dbus start
# service hald start

I've read the manuals thoroughly, it must be the drivers I'll see if I can find them. It has an Intel 855gm card. Thanks for the help so far.

Thanks, looks like a lot of people who have the intel 855GM have the same problem, they said they used VESA to get it to somewhat work, I'm not quite sure how to get that to work, do you know?

x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel is a dependency of x11/xorg so it's probably already installed. The black screen when starting X can be perfectly normal as described in the handbook:

The next step is to test the existing configuration to verify that Xorg can work with the graphics hardware on the target system. In Xorg versions up to 7.3, type:

Code:
# Xorg -config xorg.conf.new

Starting with Xorg 7.4 and above, this test produces a black screen which may make it difficult to diagnose whether X11 is working properly. The older behavior is still available by using the retro option:

Code:
# Xorg -config xorg.conf.new -retro

If a black and grey grid and an X mouse cursor appear, the configuration was successful. To exit the test, switch to the virtual console used to start it by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Fn (F1 for the first virtual console) and press Ctrl+C

Code:
xinit /usr/local/lib/xinit/xinitrc -- /usr/local/bin/Xorg -ignoreABI -retro -nolisten tcp -dpi 110
You want at least
xterm &
exec twm
in that xinitrc file. (if xterm is installed)
Some of that long command is unnecc.
I might have left out something...

All X applications need an XServer running to run atop of. When an application says it cannot open the display, it means no XServer is already running.

All you need is a valid ~/.xinitrc file, so create one and type:
Code:
xterm &
twm

After that,
% xinit
will suffice.

jb_fvwm2 said:
Code:
xinit /usr/local/lib/xinit/xinitrc -- /usr/local/bin/Xorg -ignoreABI -retro -nolisten tcp -dpi 110

Both --ignoreABI and -dpi 110 should only be used if necessary. It's easier to just edit ~/.xinitrc and run startx(1).

Back