Cannot mount volume.

ericbsd

Developer
I try to mount the usb drive on my live cd call GhostBSD.
GhostBSD is a FreeBSD gnome desktop live CD. My problem is gnome don't mount media.
We I put my pen drive . I have this message.

Cannot mount volume.
Unable to mount the volume
Details
Cannot obtain lock on /media/.hal-mtab.

After 10 second that come.
Opening "USB Drive: 16.0 GB Media"
You can stop this operation by clicking cancel.

After a wild that message come.
Unable to mount location
DBus error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

I check for the file .hal-mtab and it was not there. I add it. but nothing change.
always the same error my policykit are configure for wheel group can have the same policy then root.
Proc is mount and all the thing i need to use gnome is in rc.conf FreeBSD.

root and user dont mount.
What can be my problem.

Maybe has nothing to do but your pendrive in witch filesystem is?
Because if is on ext3 then e2fsprogs probably is not included on the livecd of GhostBSD and is a reason that you could not mount the pendrive.

my pen drive is fat32 and I'm trying to have auto mount on my next live CD.
It just not mount media.

I am not sure but to automount maybe you need ntfsprogs support.
I guess that automount means mount a volume without typing the appropriate commands. System take the control of this actions and mount the volume for you.
But if there is no support for this filesystem then probably system see that there is a pen drive but have no idea what to do with that.
Or understand that is fat filesystem but is missing the appropriate packages so is trying to mount it but he can not to do it.
One friend told me that hal (Hardware abstraction layer) is not looking for all this. Just see every flash disk, hdd, pendrive, camera etc as a hard drive (or something like that)
If this is true then all the above are not applicable. I always used window managers and almost never Desktop environments so is something that i don't know because
automount is not supported on window managers if i am right.

sk8harddiefast said:
I always used window managers and almost never Desktop environments so is something that i don't know because
automount is not supported on window managers if i am right.

Yes you are right. WM don't auto mount device it self.
I have not find the problem. some of my user want the live cd auto mount there drive.
Any way I gonna release the 1.5 beta some gonna have look on the problem.

An idea is this but is completely different.
1)Remove gnome because is very big and make the livecd much bigger and slower when run.
2)Install some nice tools with fluxbox & put them on fluxbox menu.
3)Put support for ntfsprogs & e2fsprogs.
4)Create on /mnt some folders named hdd1, hdd2, hdd3
and just they mount the hdd manual.
Mount a hdd is not so difficult.
Also for those they don't know, you can create a file on menu that tell how to do it :)
Like a little and simple mount manual for ntfs/fat & ext2/ext3/ext4 filesystems :)
Is just an idea :)

That can be nice to a side project like that. but now I have To finish a lot of thing for GhostBSD.

Back