14.1 installation from DVD fails - error 19

I am trying to load FreeBSD-14.1-RELEASE-amd64-dvd1.iso from a dvd because my fairly new Acer XC895 tower system will not allow booting from USB (believe me I have tried for weeks on 2 systems and the Bios cannot be persuaded to accept boot from USB).

I have verified the iso file against the checksum - no problem.
I have burned and verified the DVD and there are no problems detected.

I have tried several times with different dvd's, and the FreeBSD loader shows the menu then automatically starts the process, but after many lines showing the hardware detected on the Acer, it always fails with the message:-

Mounting from cd9660:/dev/iso9960/14_1_RELEASE_DVD failed with error 19
followed by
Loader variables list
and
Manual root filesystem specification
and then the prompt
mountroot>

I have searched the FreeBSD forums and documentation but can find no clue.

I have thought of trying with version 14 rather than 14.1, because an installation from DVD may be fairly rare?

I wonder if anyone has an idea - I have not shown all the output leading up to the failure, as there is so much to type, but can give any further info to help as required.

Thanks for any aid.

Frank

If trying another USB stick (other model, other brand - some sticks simply don't boot) and another burned DVD also failed, and you're sure you checked your BIOS carefully,
then I only have one idea left:
According to a quick search on the internet the Acer XC895 seems to be a complete package deal machine having Windows installed.
I don't know if there are BIOSes that reject any attempt to install something else but Windows,
but the Windows installation on the disk may protect itself from being overwritten.
I guess you don't want to kill the system you payed for neither.
So my recommendation was to remove the SSD/HDD from the computer, place a blank one into it , and try it again.

Thanks for your reply.

I have tried at least 3 different USB sticks, and following a suggestion elsewhere, I even re-formatted the sticks before use.

I have two XC895 systems, both arrived with Windows loaded and I set both up with Manjaro Linux some months ago. I don't remember having any problem doing this, and at that time I definitely used USB sticks to boot up Manjaro. I didn't need to use DVD, and I couldn't because at that time I did not have a system with a working DVD writer.

Because I know that I used USB before I spent a long time trying to boot FreeBSD from USB, and I have tried USB connections on the front and the back of the XC895!
Only after many attempts did I resort to burning a DVD with the Manjaro XC895.

I don't want to replace the disc in the computer - there is surely some reason that my attempt to use a DVD fails?

You could dd mfsBSD directly on the HDD and install from there. Just type "bsdinstall" after boot and it runs the guided installer.

why should he want to use windows for that?
I simply was wondering, if Windows is installed, and you cannot boot neither from DVD, nor USB,
how to start a system capable of doing dd?
So, I thought since bash is also available for Windows, it could be... (I understood he has three machines; two with Linux; one incapable of booting anything else.)

there is surely some reason that my attempt to use a DVD fails?
Since the USB is also rejected to me it seems not being a problem with the DVD, but the machine may reject any attempt of booting an installer device.

Besides you may try what sko suggested,
my only idea was trying to exchange the disk of the machine, or place an additional one into it, and tell the BIOS to use that one to boot from. (Doesn't need a large one; just for testings any old would be fully sufficient.)

Otherwise you may search the internet on that motherboard built in, if there are problems with installations of certain systems.
I only found several how-tos to get Linux on that thing - seems to be no problem.
But I've never heard of 'Linux can be installed, but not FreeBSD.'

So I'm out of options on that; cannot help you, sorry.
Hope for you some other has the answer.

Since the USB is also rejected to me it seems not being a problem with the DVD, but the machine may reject any attempt of booting an installer device.
or yet another broken UEFI implementation.

We had various acer veriton generations @work (until I replaced everything wtith NUCs) and BIOS/UEFI on *all* of them was utter garbage, so I'd say it's part of the business model for acer...

or yet another broken UEFI implementation.
Yeah, I had something like this in mind.
But I restrain myself on things I do not have actual knowledge on.

I'd say it's part of the business model for acer...
I had similar problems a couple years ago with HP's all inclusive package deal office machines.
But I simply could get the problem fixed by removing the SSD, wipe it clean, and then had no problem to install anything on that machine.
Q: Can it also be that the cause of this may also not only be within the EFI partition, but the UEFI implemenation of the motherboard?

And of course, if there is a nvme installed, maybe even under a graphics card, one does not welcome some advice like 'simply change the disk.'

I have been reading all your replies - because I am newly registered on the forum there is a delay before my posts are authorised to appear.

So, for clarity - I have 10 systems, all versions of Linux except for a server running XigmaNAS (which is why I started looking to use FreeBSD).

I have used USB sticks on every system to replace Windoze, and never had an insurmountable problem - possibly until now. This includes the booting of Manjaro Linux with USB to the two Acer XC895s! which seems to be the most baffling thing of all.

I wonder if anyone has successfully booted from DVD, as there has been no mention in the replies.

I have also now looked at the mfsBSD information on the FreeBSD site - I need to examine this further. Simply dd-ing to the /dev/sda or whatever will ruin the current system and so I need to be certain that I am not making things worse.

Thanks for your interest and ideas.

Frank

Short answer:
Yes.

Story:
The last FreeBSD installation I did by DVD was on 10.something; been a while. But it worked.

But just for nobody may say 'he's talking much about "hardball" testing, but...' I actually tested it just a moment ago:

downloaded the FreeBSD-14.1-RELEASE-amd64-bootonly.iso, checked sha256+sha512,
searched for some blank DVD, found one, dusted the package *cough* 😁, tried to remember how to burn an iso to a DVD, managed that 😅, set up a quick and dirty set up with one of my old HP midi towers, realized also no optical drive was installed, cursed, searched one, found one, dust job again, installed the drive, and...
...bootet from DVD at the very first attempt.

Now seeing the blue FreeBSD installer screen on the monitor.

So the DVD image can be ruled out.
Sorry, for that's no real help.
But you see, there is will to help.

But I'm out of here.
I'm simply out of options.
As I said, I hope for you some one else may have an idea how to get FreeBSD on your system,
since 10 machines plus one server would be worth the help.

I am going to disassemble the whole rubbish again, and store it back in the attic - to collect new dust 😅

Wish you get it run.🤞

P.S.: If you want to install a system on all ten machines, and they're all identical, then removing the disk would be a good a idea anyway.
You install FreeBSD, the Apps, and do the config on one machine, then clone the disk 9x.

Secure boot is disabled on every one of my systems!

Because a sure sign of insanity is to keep doing the same thing and expect a different result, I burned a DVD image of the earlier version 14.0.
I got exactly the same "error 19" result.

I will be away now for a couple of weeks, and I may not be able to connect to the internet, so I apologize in advance if I do not immediately respond to a message.

Thanks again for any help.

Frank

I wonder if anyone has successfully booted from DVD, as there has been no mention in the replies.

I just wanted to add that I downloaded the iso file, FreeBSD-14.1-RELEASE-amd64-dvd1.iso, and then I used K3B within my Kubuntu desktop to burn it to a Verbatim brand DVD+R disc. I was able to successfully boot both my desktop and an old HP laptop from boot disc I just burned.

I didn't try running the installation option from my boot disc, but I did pick option three at the boot menu, and from there I typed boot -s. From there I was able to login in as root, and next I was able to mount the root partition in my laptop by typing mount /dev/ada0p3 /mnt. From there I navigated to the /mnt folder, and there was the entire content of the root partition of my earlier FreeBSD installation on my laptop.

So in my case, I was able to boot two different machines from the installation DVD, and I was able to use the DVD to look at the files contained on the harddrive of my laptop. Not sure if this information helps, but thought I would include it.

Newbie here.
I just want to add that I also downloaded the iso file, FreeBSD-14.1-RELEASE-amd64-dvd1.iso, and then I used K3B within my PCLinuxOS desktop to burn it to a Verbatim brand DVD+R disc. I was able to successfully boot my 10 year old desktop from boot disc I just burned. Installed successfully!

Back