13.2-RELEASE Failed to boot after the upgrade.

Not long ago, I upgraded 13.1-p7 to 13.2-RELEASE by using `freebsd-update upgrade -r 13.2-RELEASE`.
A strange thing happened after the upgrade: every time the computer was hot booted, the message "mountroot zfs:zroot/ROOT/default" was displayed, causing the FreeBSD system to not boot properly. A cold boot is perfectly normal.
May I ask why this is and how to solve it?
If you need information about the operating environment of the system, I can add.
Thanks!

Not long ago, I upgraded 13.1-p7 to 13.2-RELEASE by using `freebsd-update upgrade -r 13.2-RELEASE`.
A strange thing happened after the upgrade: every time the computer was hot booted, the message "mountroot zfs:zroot/ROOT/default" was displayed, causing the FreeBSD system to not boot properly. A cold boot is perfectly normal.
May I ask why this is and how to solve it?
If you need information about the operating environment of the system, I can add.
Thanks!

In this case a screenshot or photo of the hanging boot would be good.

Just to be sure: did you run that command twice (with a reboot inbetween)? If you only run it once you get the kernel updated but not the userland.
I perform this operation according to the official upgrade document:
Upgrading Using "FreeBSD Update"
The freebsd-update(8) utility supports binary upgrades of i386 and amd64 systems running earlier FreeBSD releases. Systems running 12.4-RELEASE or 13.1-RELEASE can upgrade as follows:
# freebsd-update fetch
# freebsd-update install
Now the freebsd-update(8) utility can fetch bits belonging to 13.2-RELEASE. During this process freebsd-update(8) will ask for help in merging configuration files.
# freebsd-update upgrade -r 13.2-RELEASE
# freebsd-update install
The system must now be rebooted with the newly installed kernel before the non-kernel components are updated.
# shutdown -r now
After rebooting, freebsd-update(8) needs to be run again to install the new userland components:
# freebsd-update install
At this point, users of systems being upgraded from earlier FreeBSD releases will be prompted by freebsd-update(8) to rebuild all third-party applications (e.g., ports installed from the ports tree) due to updates in system libraries.
After updating installed third-party applications (and again, only if freebsd-update(8) printed a message indicating that this was necessary), run freebsd-update(8) again so that it can delete the old (no longer used) system libraries:
# freebsd-update install
Finally, reboot into 13.2-RELEASE
# shutdown -r now

####################################################
Now run the command, and the following information is displayed:
root@550W:~ # uname -a
FreeBSD 550W 13.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 13.2-RELEASE releng/13.2-n254617-525ecfdad597 GENERIC amd64

root@550W:~ # freebsd-update upgrade -r 13.2-RELEASE
src component not installed, skipped
freebsd-update: Cannot upgrade from 13.2-RELEASE to itself

root@550W:~ # freebsd-update fetch
src component not installed, skipped
Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 2 mirrors found.
Fetching metadata signature for 13.2-RELEASE from update1.freebsd.org... done.
Fetching metadata index... done.
Inspecting system... done.
Preparing to download files... done.
No updates needed to update system to 13.2-RELEASE-p0.

Edit: no need to yell and shout - Mod

Last edited by a moderator:

Attachments

• boot.png
    boot.png
    635.4 KB · Views: 94
  • zfs-list.png
    zfs-list.png
    77.9 KB · Views: 88
  • lsblk.png
    lsblk.png
    61.8 KB · Views: 89