13.1 to 13.2 /etc/passwd

Hello Friends, thanks for beeing here,
yesterday I upgraded my Freebsd 13.1 to 13.2.
In Terminal I got the message that the file /etc/passwd could not merged automatically
and that resolving of conflicts have to be done manually.
The only way to continue the upgrading was to press enter.
The vi started and opened the /etc/passwd file.
Then I didn't know what to do. I didn't know where the conflicts should be and how they could be solved manually.
The only thing I knew was how to exit vi. So I did :wq withou any changing of the file.
The upgrade continued without any problems and was completed successfully.
The upgraded Freebsd is running fine and the login of the given user and sudo with the user password are also working fine.
But I am still confused about the meassage about confilcts in the /etc/passwd file;
was it right do no changes in the file or is there something that still have to be done?
Thank you for your Help.

In Terminal I got the message that the file /etc/passwd could not merged automatically
and that resolving of conflicts have to be done manually.
The only way to continue the upgrading was to press enter
The correct thing to do is to understand the syntax for a merged file. It typically shows the conflicting lines, with a line of "<<<<<" before, a line of "=====" to separate them, and a line of ">>>>>" after (or some similar combination).

The correct thing to do is to make a decision what the correct content of the file should be, edit it accordingly, then save.

It is possible that your system is working partially or completely now. It is also possible that certain user accounts are dysfunctional. Or that the remaining "<<<" etc. lines break some functionality. You should go and check which files in /etc/ (and other places) have merge conflicts, and repair them.

Remember, to edit /etc/passwd, you should use vipw().

There were two similar topics in few days:

Back