13.1 Painless Install

Exported my zfs pools, downloaded, burned to USB, booted, installed like usual, imported my zfs pools, updated, and configured. 10 minutes later my services were up and running without any pain at all. I heart FreeBSD and I heart ZFS and bectl :)!

Anybody else have an easy go of it?

I have downloaded 13.1 amd64 memstick image, burned to USB disk, checked its sha512 sum, it matched so I've installed it. Afterwards a surprise, freebsd-version -k says 13.0 RELEASE, uname -r the same. Is it just me or some release mistake?

I used:

FreeBSD-13.1-RELEASE-amd64-memstick.img

and uname reports:

FreeBSD loki.sentech.home 13.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 13.1-RELEASE releng/13.1-n250148-fc952ac2212 GENERIC amd64

and

freebsd-version -kru reports:

13.1-RELEASE
13.1-RELEASE
13.1-RELEASE

I have downloaded 13.1 amd64 memstick image, burned to USB disk, checked its sha512 sum, it matched so I've installed it. Afterwards a surprise, freebsd-version -k says 13.0 RELEASE, uname -r the same. Is it just me or some release mistake?
I'm pretty sure you accidentally used the 13.0-RELEASE images. Because there's no way a 13.1-RELEASE would install 13.0.

I dd'd the Rasperry Pi image to my SD card and FreeBSD 13.1 started out of the box.

Then i installed XOrg, openbox and Firefox and tried to access freebsd.org.
Didn't work. Other sites did work. A real WTF moment.

Problem was i forgot to start ntpd so my system time wasn't correct. After i added it to rc.conf, the FreeBSD website loaded properly.
Other than that, no problems. Best release ever!

Anybody else have an easy go of it?

Another happy customer (not me): I just upgraded to 13.1-RELEASE

I'm another happy customer, where I upgraded successfully in a VirtualBox guest (to report a kernel panic involving a port).

Postscript

Last edited:
Exported my zfs pools, downloaded, burned to USB, booted, installed like usual, imported my zfs pools, updated, and configured. 10 minutes later my services were up and running without any pain at all.
The relnotes indicate that the freebsd-update utility can be used to do the upgrade. Why didn't you use that means? Is it unreliable?

The relnotes indicate that the freebsd-update utility can be used to do the upgrade. Why didn't you use that means? Is it unreliable?
Nah. I just don’t need cruft lying around after the upgrade from prior releases. Upgrading in place is fine, but I like recreatable installs where I know the dependencies are the current media plus packages.

Alas, extremely painful upgrade from 12.2 to 13.1:

- 13.1 doesn't boot on Thinkpad X1, requires hint.hwpstate_intel.0.disabled="1".
- pkg upgrade segfaults multiple times saying (null) has no equivalent package or something.
- pkg upgrade breaks in the middle, e.g. when upgrading freebsd-doc complaining it cannot replace some of the files and just quits.
- With hwpstate disabled, laptop fans now spinning like crazy, so had to install and mess with bsdfan.
- Lots of strange error messages on boot - will have to get back to them later.

Still scratching my head how can someone break the boot process on Thinkpads (many models affected) so badly and continue to release the OS as if nothing has happened.

For each of these:

• pkg upgrade segfaults multiple times saying (null) has no equivalent package or something.
  • pkg upgrade breaks in the middle, e.g. when upgrading freebsd-doc complaining it cannot replace some of the files and just quits.

– please create (or find) a separate topic, then @ ping me from there, to join you. Thanks.

I appreciate your willingness to help, but I wish I had time to troubleshoot all this, Graham. By the way, one more issue: Thinkpad X1 is not waking up properly sometimes after 13.1 upgrade. Never been an issue with 12 and earlier. Handbook HTML files disappeared, can only find PDF installed. Was very useful to have HTML ones as they're faster to browse and search through.

NB maybe a different bug.

… HTML format build has been disabled until separate localized-only build will work again without requiring the en_US build.

So far, so good. I upgraded my desktop from 13.0 to 13.1 this past weekend. Since I already knew I was going to have to redo the video drivers from ports, that prevented some frustration. Using UFS on this computer, so no ZFS pools to be concerned with. Now I need to jump in and upgrade my server from 12.3 to 13.1 to take advantage of the NFS improvements. It's using some ZFS mirroring, so I want to be absolutely sure I have the right process (and good backups) before starting!

Back