Solved 13.0-RELEASE not booting

Hello forum,

After upgrading to 13.0-RELEASE it seems I am having some driver issues. The box hanged with the shot below. Is there any hope? Thank you.

13_1.jpg

Did you reinstall all ports and packages? In case not:
  1. Boot into single user mode.
  2. mount /
  3. pkg-static bootstrap -f
  4. pkg upgrade

Note that fuse doesn't exist anymore, it's been renamed to fusefs a long time ago. On 12.x both referred to the same fusefs(5) kernel module but with 13.0 the old name was removed.

When doing major version upgrades it's best to temporarily remove any additional kernel modules (especially the ones you installed via ports or packages) from /boot/loader.conf. Once you finished the upgrade completely (including the upgrade of your ports/packages) you can enable them again. This will prevent any potentially bad things from happening when the system tries to load the wrong version of the kernel modules.

loading required module 'kernel' looks very fishy, as does can't find 'driver'.

Have a look at your /boot/loader.conf. Does it contain stuff like this?
Code:
kernel_load="YES"
driver_load="YES"
Just a guess, but would explain this unusual output. If so, remove it. You can also remove anything related to linux, better add linux_enable="YES" to /etc/rc.conf instead.

Did you use ports or packages for the video driver? It may need to be built from ports. See if it works with VESA, and without the Nvidia driver and without Linux modules. Then, move on to those.

Also, which Kernel is selected in your /boot/loader.conf? Is it the one from FreeBSD 13.0, or has it been custom set to another version?
Slightly offtopic: why does it display the old ASCII logo?
Probably upgraded from a previous install. Which could explain if the wrong kernel was loaded.

Modifying /boot/loader.conf helped. Now X does not start I am sure because of the nvidia driver. Should the driver be removed altogether?

Slightly offtopic: why does it display the old ASCII logo?
You need to "force" text mode off or switch to a 1024x768 (or higher) resolution.
Code:
hw.vga.textmode="0"
# OR
efi_max_resolution="1024x768"
vbe_max_resolution="1024x768"
The difference between efi_* and vbe_* is, as far as I understood it, the difference between an UEFI or CSM boot. You can set both at the same time without issues.

Now X does not start I am sure because of the nvidia driver. Should the driver be removed altogether?
No need to remove it. You can enable it again after you completed the upgrade (both the OS and your ports/packages).

Yes, but the default "orb" logo is the only one that has the snazzy new graphics. You can add your own logos (both graphics and ASCII art) if you take a look in the /boot/lua/gfx-<name>.lua files. Just add your own and you can enable it through loader_logo. Not sure what the size constraints are but if you keep the size the same then it should work just fine.

Since X failed. I have been unable to get back to single mode login. When the login shows up at boot number keys don't get me into single mode. Pressing any key is simply ignored.

Tried a live boot but I can't seem to able to mount the drive with the installation. Still working on it. I will post the outcome.

Back on my desktop but I hope someone can help find libjpeg.so.8. It seems some programs can't run without it.

pkg upgrade -f

The package installing libjpeg is graphics/jpeg-turbo, but running into such problems at all seems to indicate you didn't upgrade/reinstall all your packages, which you really should do after a major upgrade.

loading required module 'kernel' looks very fishy, as does can't find 'driver'.

Have a look at your /boot/loader.conf. Does it contain stuff like this?
Code:
kernel_load="YES"
driver_load="YES"
Just a guess, but would explain this unusual output. If so, remove it. You can also remove anything related to linux, better add linux_enable="YES" to /etc/rc.conf instead.
What works for me is
Code:
kld_list="zfs nvidia-modeset ..."
in /etc/rc.conf. Besides, module dependencies will be loaded automatically (not need to mention linux explicitly, unless you need it for linux compat).

BTW, in my case nothing helps, and my screen remains much like the OP's. NOTHING helps to display the default ORB image. Neither do any specific lines added to /boot/loader.conf help set efifb screen resolution to anything other than what the EFI console determines on boot. At least, gop mode 1 is rather decent, I like it. But why the heck does it push the ASCII-character'd logo?? I liked the ORB one so much... but for some funny reason I can't have it :( :(...

I feel especially annoyed because no FreeBSD knowledge can help me here, too bad.

The only thing that works is adding exec="gop set 1" to /boot/loader.conf to set the default efifb resolution to the best of the 2 offered. But the logo remains like the OP shows (the worst choice IMHO). Even adding lines like loader_image="..." only serve to make the ASCII logo black&white instead of red. The word "kernel" is in jolly green, though -- telling me that the freakin' program actually KNOWS how to use colors and make things look decent.

Replacing the EFI binary with the last one from RELEASE changed nothing... except that now I do have the latest EFI binary (good!!).

Back