Solved 12.1 to 12.2 upgrade broke Xorg

I knew I should have never upgraded in the first place.

Upgrading 12.1 to 12.2 leaves Xorg unable to start.

Same old thing - devices detected but none match those in the config file. Commenting out the device field and driver field make no difference. Vesa driver should at least start but of course it does not.

Shame on me for needing to upgrade to install a web browser anyway. Really I should have just taken the medicine and waited 45 minutes for each page to load. It would be preferable to this.

edit:

modesetting driver changed to scfb fixed it

I am still using the slowest computer in day to day usage of anyone on planet Earth.
 

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Moderator
Did you update your packages too? Because graphics/drm-kmod that was built for 12.1 isn't going to work on 12.2.

And not to rub salt in your wounds but 12.3 will be released soon, making 12.2 EoL. So you're going to need to upgrade again some time in December.
 
Fixed but thanks for your replies. If you have been using FreeBSD for long you have probably had this happen before.
 
I don't mind at all. I mentioned it in the first post but I can put it here too. Simply changing the driver to scfb from modesetting fixed it.

I did lose some 3d effects in KDE and I do not know or remember what other ramifications this could have.

Xorg also seems to start after a package upgrade even with the modesetting driver. But there are other problems now and I have detailed them in another thread in the ports and packages subforum.
 

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Moderator
Simply changing the driver to scfb from modesetting fixed it.
That actually didn't fix it. You just switched to a non-accelerated generic driver.
I did lose some 3d effects in KDE and I do not know or remember what other ramifications this could have.
Make sure graphics/drm-kmod, graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod and graphics/gpu-firmware-kmod are up to date. The simplest way to do this is to run pkg upgrade and not trying to upgrade individual packages, update everything. Then reboot and make sure the kernel module loads correctly. Then modesetting will work again, which will also result in a working KDE.
 
Thank you it is an Udoo x86 "Ultra". It has never been ultra at least with FreeBSD.

As for switching to scfb and it being non-accelerated - this is technically true but in practice is no slower than the modesetting driver on this system. I cannot express how extremely slow it is in general no matter the driver.

As I mentioned before, the modesetting and scfb driver work now that the packages are updated.

Wikipedia shows the graphics as a 405, yes. dmesg did not show the exact name of the graphics, nor does Intel Ark.

I might look into the graphics kmod stuff but the slowness is more rooted in the fact that the processor will not go to full speed - which I have a thread on, and the fact that memory usage with Falkon browser routinely exceeds 8GB with 1 to 2 tabs open - which I have opened a thread on in the past.

The highest priority for me is fixing KDE now that the package update broke that - which I have a thread on - and respectfully I do not think changing the graphics driver is going to get KDE working, but again, I have a separate thread for that.
 
Top