Solved [12.1-RELEASE] freebsd-update fetch-> gunzip: (stdin): unexpected end of file

Hello there people!

Just learned about BSD 2 days ago and I'm eager to try it. I've read through the forum rules so hopefully my newbie questions are not that unbearable.
I've been using Linux till now and I've gratefully seen that the terminal usage is mostly transferable, so I got some knowledge in that.

Goal:
Trying to update FreeBSD version 12.1-Release (amd64) on my HP EliteBook 840 (Intel Core i5, 8GiB RAM, 256 SSD, Boot using UEFI).

So far:
  • Boot works just fine
  • Installation with no problems
    • Installed lib32, ports and src
  • Notebook is perfectly booting into multi user mode, able to login and use the terminal as root or normal user
  • The notebook is connected to a switch by ethernet cable. The switch is connected to my rooter which has access to 16k DSL

Problem:
The command freebsd-update fetch seems to always result in an error:
Code:
phttpget: Connection failure
gunzip: (stdin): unexpected end of file
$some has value$ has incorrect hash.

Following actions were tried without successfull yield -> same error persists:
  • Tried to recompile phttpget by doing make && make install in the corresponding src folder
  • Tried changeing the update server subdomain update.freebsd.org to update1.freebsd.org ... update6.freebsd.org
  • Tried remove potentially corrupted files from the freebsd-update folder by doing rm -rf /var/db/freebsd-update/*
rc.conf
Code:
clear_tmp_enable="YES"
syslogd_flags="-ss"
sendmail_enable="NONE"
hostname="lapnug"
keymap="de.kdb"
ifconfig_em0="DHCP"
sshd_enable="YES"
moused_enable="YES"
ntpdate_enable="YES"
ntpd_enable="YES"
dumpdev="AUTO"

resolve.conf
Code:
search fritz.box
nameserver 192.168.188.1

If you need any additional information, please let me know.

Kind Regards

My switch is actually broken, every few seconds there is a 100% packageloss. I plugged my laptop directly into my router and everything worked fine. Using the switch there are always data integrity problems when hashes are compared etc. as it seems.

Back