10 - 20 days before you can post to howto section

I suggest, admins set limit: 10-20 or 30 days before new user can post in howto section....

Many new users try to ask their questions in howto sections, thinking that someone will help..... But as we all know it's wrong section....

I suggest you set limit. in these 10-30 or whatever day, users will probably start understanding what that section is for.....

But if new user want to provide HowTo before this few day limit, he can write in other section, and then admin/mod will move to howto section

What do you think?
I think it will do good.

VB has no such settings. Once has to setup groups and than prompt users automatically to those groups. Not hard to implement. Btw, VB 4.0 is out..

>I suggest you set limit. in these 10-30 or whatever day, users will probably start understanding what that section is for.....

Too much noise in my opinion for almost nothing. Did you ever see a really _big_ forum? Like cgtalk.com for example? Well, that's huge and they do it manually too.

>10-20 or 30 days

DO you have some statistical numbers which lead to these magical numbers?

Easy solution: more moderators! That said, I don't see any problem.

An easy solution might be to restrict posting to that forum to "Regulars" usergroup. I can try to discuss this with other moderatros/administrators...

When I was moderator at bsdforums.org, we also found that once in a while somebody posted a question in the Howto section. we just moved the question to an appropiate forums section.

How about changing the section title from Howtos to Guides like we did at daemonforums.org? Although sporadically people still post a question there ;)

J65nko, how difficult is it to simply read the sticky and/or the forum description:
Would you like to share some of your solutions for certain problems? Tips or tricks? Post here.
?

Some people are just voluntarily blind, illiterates or plain idiots, and there's no known cure for these conditions AFAIK, other than a moderator telling them to RTFD (Read The Forum Description).

This problem is way too infrequent to even warrant a discussion, really. Yeah, it happens sometimes, yeah, it's annoying sometimes, nope, mods don't lose sleep over it.

Beastie said:
Some people are just voluntarily blind, illiterates or plain idiots, and there's no known cure for these conditions AFAIK, other than a moderator telling them to RTFD (Read The Forum Description).

SIIIS (Self Impose Intellectual Impairment Syndrome)

-JJ

danger@ said:
An easy solution might be to restrict posting to that forum to "Regulars" usergroup. I can try to discuss this with other moderatros/administrators...
Unless that usergroup is either manually set or added over time, it would be equally useless to do it like this. A user who only posts once or twice a month but is an expert might have something useful to say but would be locked out due to his low post count, whereas a complete chowderhead who can't even figure out "ls" and posts 60 nonsense "me too" posts a day would have access.

Back